Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow "unapologetically himself"
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-leadership-bengals

“I just work really, really hard every day, and I think that probably rubs off on people," Burrow said. "I’m just unapologetically myself, and I think that’s a good thing and people respect that.”

We've had dozens and dozens of Burrow threads and thousands of posts, I know, but I believe this is a key even crucial aspect of a leader.

He's not afraid to cut his own path even if it's not on the beaten one. He's not scared to speak his mind and tell you the truth about how he feels. He's not going to sugar coat everything and worry about everybody's feelings.

At the end of one of the post draft interviews he's asked "tell us one thing about yourself nobody knows" Joe replies "I just do ball" or something like that ? Then he says "you were expecting some quirky answer, weren't you ?" He is who he is and believes what he believes and he's not gonna just comply, I love it !

Does any of this guarantee JB is gonna be an all world NFL QB ? No

But I sure do like no love what I'm seeing and hearing from him.  Joe
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He definitely has a swagger to him. Moxie like no QB the Bengals have ever had (at least not in my lifetime). When I was a kid Jeff Blake was the man, but I don’t remember much about him beyond he was the Bengals QB. Carson was very quite and reserved. Dalton was... let’s face it, kind of a nerd. Especially during his cringeworthy pregame “hype” talks.

Burrow is definitely cut from a different cloth. How will that translate to the football field? We’ll (hopefully) find out soon enough
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-leadership-bengals

“I just work really, really hard every day, and I think that probably rubs off on people," Burrow said. "I’m just unapologetically myself, and I think that’s a good thing and people respect that.”

We've had dozens and dozens of Burrow threads and thousands of posts, I know, but I believe this is a key even crucial aspect of a leader.

He's not afraid to cut his own path even if it's not on the beaten one. He's not scared to speak his mind and tell you the truth about how he feels. He's not going to sugar coat everything and worry about everybody's feelings.

At the end of one of the post draft interviews he's asked "tell us one thing about yourself nobody knows" Joe replies "I just do ball" or something like that ? Then he says "you were expecting some quirky answer, weren't you ?" He is who he is and believes what he believes and he's not gonna just comply, I love it !

Does any of this guarantee JB is gonna be an all world NFL QB ? No

But I sure do like no love what I'm seeing and hearing from him.  Joe

I know a lot of folks are getting tired of Burrow discussion and want to see it on the field....I get it.  But you touched on the one thing that I am most excited about in terms of his overall evaluation:  Leadership.  Now, I think Jon Kitna was a good leader, but was more limited as an athlete.  Burrow has the rare combination of elite talent and incredible leadership.  

I don't want to heap comparisons like Brady and Manning on the guy before he takes an NFL snap, but I am very excited to know that this guy will work harder than anyone to win games.  That is apparent.  I remember the video clip interviewing him after the Championship game about his injury that he sustained during the game, and how he waived off the training staff.   He wasn't even going to let them look at it.  He was too focused on the next drive.  When he was asked about the injury, it was almost like he seemed offended that the thought of him coming off the field was even discussed.  He said something like "It's the National Championship game!".  

The simple:  "I'm all about ball" is just awesome.  I remember hearing stories about when he was a third stringer at OSU and Meyer was sending him against the #1 defense and he was just getting drilled every time he stepped back.  One of the other coaches said he was amazed how Burrow just kept getting up and back in for the next play, and never complained at all.  He sure isn't the biggest guy, but he is tough as nails.  

I have been wanting a mobile QB for a long time.  To get one that has uncanny accuracy, leadership, vision, and toughness is unbelievable.  I have a strong feeling that the next decade and beyond is going to be loads of fun as Bengal fans.  
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:32 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: He definitely has a swagger to him. Moxie like no QB the Bengals have ever had (at least not in my lifetime). When I was a kid Jeff Blake was the man, but I don’t remember much about him beyond he was the Bengals QB. Carson was very quite and reserved. Dalton was... let’s face it, kind of a nerd. Especially during his cringeworthy pregame “hype” talks.

Burrow is definitely cut from a different cloth. How will that translate to the football field? We’ll (hopefully) find out soon enough

Kenny Anderson was a quiet leader, but Boomer was full of moxie and swagger.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:32 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: He definitely has a swagger to him. Moxie like no QB the Bengals have ever had (at least not in my lifetime). When I was a kid Jeff Blake was the man, but I don’t remember much about him beyond he was the Bengals QB. Carson was very quite and reserved. Dalton was... let’s face it, kind of a nerd. Especially during his cringeworthy pregame “hype” talks.

Boomer had it.  Burrow looks to have Boomer's moxie and Anderson's accuracy.  And maybe more of both.
Reply/Quote

You could take a hundred people who have no idea who  George Patton, Peyton Manning, John Wayne, even Elvis Pressley, and others are ? And send in one of those types and in just a couple of minutes people would notice and gravitate towards them, without them drawing attention to themselves. They just have "it" what it is, is hard to put into just a few words. Leadership is certainly one of the traits.

Joe Burrow seems to be one of those types.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know a lot of folks are getting tired of Burrow discussion and want to see it on the field....I get it.  But you touched on the one thing that I am most excited about in terms of his overall evaluation:  Leadership.  Now, I think Jon Kitna was a good leader, but was more limited as an athlete.  Burrow has the rare combination of elite talent and incredible leadership.  

I don't want to heap comparisons like Brady and Manning on the guy before he takes an NFL snap, but I am very excited to know that this guy will work harder than anyone to win games.  That is apparent.  I remember the video clip interviewing him after the Championship game about his injury that he sustained during the game, and how he waived off the training staff.   He wasn't even going to let them look at it.  He was too focused on the next drive.  When he was asked about the injury, it was almost like he seemed offended that the thought of him coming off the field was even discussed.  He said something like "It's the National Championship game!".  

The simple:  "I'm all about ball" is just awesome.  I remember hearing stories about when he was a third stringer at OSU and Meyer was sending him against the #1 defense and he was just getting drilled every time he stepped back.  One of the other coaches said he was amazed how Burrow just kept getting up and back in for the next play, and never complained at all.  He sure isn't the biggest guy, but he is tough as nails.  

I have been wanting a mobile QB for a long time.  To get one that has uncanny accuracy, leadership, vision, and toughness is unbelievable.  I have a strong feeling that the next decade and beyond is going to be loads of fun as Bengal fans.  

For sure !

Burrow isn't L. Jackson but he's for sure not C. Palmer either. Can't wait to see him on the field even in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Kenny Anderson was a quiet leader, but Boomer was full of moxie and swagger.

(05-19-2020, 10:36 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: Boomer had it.  Burrow looks to have Boomer's moxie and Anderson's accuracy.  And maybe more of both.

Oh yes Boomer had "it" but it seems Burrow has "it" even another level above him. I know we've yet to see how this plays out and this is kinda just speculation at this point. But I do believe we've landed a real gem.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: “I just work really, really hard every day, and I think that probably rubs off on people," Burrow said.

I'm pretty sure it's more his exceedingly punchable face.

He could be a truly great dude, and I want him to succeed because it means the Bengals will succeed.... but I see his face and I can't help but think how punchable it is. Probably a bit better now that he's not long haired anymore...
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

...but still very punchable.

[Image: 7c81efa4-ca34-4613-83cb-0e3512bc09e4-USA...&auto=webp]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: " Burrow said. "I’m just unapologetically myself, and I think that’s a good thing

He stole this quote word-for-word from Johnny Manziel.

Not saying Burrow will be anything like Johnny. Just saying "swagger" is not always a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:02 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm pretty sure it's more his exceedingly punchable face.

He could be a truly great dude, and I want him to succeed because it means the Bengals will succeed.... but I see his face and I can't help but think how punchable it is. Probably a bit better now that he's not long haired anymore...
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

...but still very punchable.

[Image: 7c81efa4-ca34-4613-83cb-0e3512bc09e4-USA...&auto=webp]

Your idea of a punchable face is very different than mine. Burrow is nowhere near the Big Ben, Phillip Rivers end of the scale for me.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He stole this quote word-for-word from Johnny Manziel.

Not saying Burrow will be anything like Johnny. Just saying "swagger" is not always a good thing.

You’re the absolute worst.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He stole this quote word-for-word from Johnny Manziel.

Swagger ain't sh*t unless you can back it up.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Leadership is not swagger.. Leadership is what other's around you gravitate to you.. some players think talking and yelling means leadership etc.. the big part is how you bond your teammates and admit mistakes and not blame others..... obviously the more talent and success you have on the field can increase that leadership .. Some on the board act like a quite unassuming players like Dalton or AJ could not be a leader but those that have played with them have spoken highly about their leadership and both rarely shifted blame to others which helped adhere to their leadership qualities.. Anderson was a great example of a Leader with zero swagger and so many Bengals players of the past hold him very high as a Leader..

It the end.. you have to perform, bond with teammates and accept your mistakes ... Hopefully Burrow is able to do that in the NFL
Reply/Quote

I think Johnny problem was substance abuse and not "swagger" .
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 12:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Leadership is not swagger.. Leadership is what other's around you gravitate to you.. some players think talking and yelling means leadership etc.. the big part is how you bond your teammates and admit mistakes and not blame others..... obviously the more talent and success you have on the field can increase that leadership .. Some on the board act like a quite unassuming players like Dalton or AJ could not be a leader but those that have played with them have spoken highly about their leadership and both rarely shifted blame to others which helped adhere to their leadership qualities.. Anderson was a great example of a Leader with zero swagger and so many Bengals players of the past hold him very high as a Leader..

It the end.. you have to perform, bond with teammates and accept your mistakes ... Hopefully Burrow is able to do that in the NFL

REP.

We only see a very small fraction of the time a team spends together.  The guy who squeals and screams on game day may be a joke to his teammates while the guy who appears quiet and unassuming has won his teammates over by being the best prepared and the hardest worker.

"Swagger" in and of itself is neither good nor bad.  You can be a good leader without it or you can be a poor leader with tons of it.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, even Burrow himself doesn't seem to keen on the 'swagger' label:

'Swagger is something that doesn't really have anything behind it. Confidence has a lot of preparation behind it. There's a lot of false confidence out there that you could describe as swagger. The reason I'm so confident is because I know the work I put in, the preparation I put in...before every single game and in the off-season and that's why I'm so confident.'
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 01:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, even Burrow himself doesn't seem to keen on the 'swagger' label:

'Swagger is something that doesn't really have anything behind it. Confidence has a lot of preparation behind it. There's a lot of false confidence out there that you could describe as swagger. The reason I'm so confident is because I know the work I put in, the preparation I put in...before every single game and in the off-season and that's why I'm so confident.'

That quote needs to be framed on posted for every NFL rookie to read.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 12:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Leadership is not swagger.. Leadership is what other's around you gravitate to you.. some players think talking and yelling means leadership etc.. the big part is how you bond your teammates and admit mistakes and not blame others..... obviously the more talent and success you have on the field can increase that leadership .. Some on the board act like a quite unassuming players like Dalton or AJ could not be a leader but those that have played with them have spoken highly about their leadership and both rarely shifted blame to others which helped adhere to their leadership qualities.. Anderson was a great example of a Leader with zero swagger and so many Bengals players of the past hold him very high as a Leader..

Post of the Century right there!
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 01:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, even Burrow himself doesn't seem to keen on the 'swagger' label:

I caught that when he said it in his post draft interview. I think the most impressive thing about JB, to me anyway, is just the composure and thought process he has. I've been around a few world leaders and Heads of State people and that is pretty much what you see with these people. 
Reply/Quote