Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
On Burrow's confidence
Most superstar QBs taken number one n the draft are confident because they have been a dominate force since high school. Their confidence is all in their ability. But Burrow went from a 5-star recruit to a benchwarmer at OSU. He did not become a starter until his fourth yaer in college and even then he was not that great (12 ranked QB in the SEC). But he kept grinding and working hard and the results were arguably the greatest season ever by a college QB.

Dan Patrick interviewed Joe before the draft and afterwards he said Burrow was "over confident", but then he quickly added "but in a good way". It is not really possible to be "over confident" in a good way, but I think I understand what Patrick was trying to say. The QB who was just confident because he has always been great will often have problems if he struggles in the NFL. Burrow seems to have the type of confidence that will allow him to shrug off any bumps in the road. He has already experienced set backs, but he is confident that if he just keeps grinding it will all work out.

I am not saying he does not have confidence in his skills, but he has much more than that. He is older than most rookies and has already had to learn the sytems of three different OCs. He is confident in his ability to learn and adapt. This will serve him well in learning how to play in the NFL.

Who DeyJoeWho Dey
Reply/Quote
Burrow has said his confidence comes not from his ability, but because he knows he puts in the work, both mental and physical. And I believe his "jump" in ability at LSU came from working with Tom House. (at least I think I remember reading that somewhere) Not comparing him to Manning, but like Manning he seems to be the guy who is going to know possibly know about his offense and the opposing defense prior to stepping on the field.
Reply/Quote
I’m curious what has had you change tunes lately Fred. Glad you’re finally on board.

I believe the thing Joe has going for him is he understands that practice and film study are what gets him to do well on gameday. They asked him something like “do you really need OTAs and practices or can you really only learn from game time.” And he confidently said that you can learn everything in practice. I was surprised. A lot of guys would have answered the question differently I think.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 01:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m curious what has had you change tunes lately Fred. Glad you’re finally on board.

I believe the thing Joe has going for him is he understands that practice and film study are what gets him to do well on gameday. They asked him something like “do you really need OTAs and practices or can you really only learn from game time.” And he confidently said that you can learn everything in practice. I was surprised. A lot of guys would have answered the question differently I think.

It also depends on if the person "knows how" to watch film, instead of just watching film.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 01:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m curious what has had you change tunes lately Fred. Glad you’re finally on board.

I was never really down on Burrow.  It was just unlike most people here I knew how he looked in 2018.  Not that impressive.

I still have some concrerns about him just having one good year as a starter.

And I will still disagree with the people who claim he did not have a good offensive line and tons of talent around him last year.
Reply/Quote
Another nice thread from Fred, wow.

Seriously, hard not to have confidence in our new leader. He shines in the way you want your Franchise QB to.

I am having a hard time tempering my expectations with this guy.

He is confident in the right way, he isn't cocky. Dude just puts in more work than others so he is prepared for anything.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow was a 3 star recruit.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 09:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But Burrow went from a 5-star recruit to a benchwarmer at OSU. 
Fwiw, Burrow wasn't a 5 star recruit.  He was actually a lower 4, and ranked outside the top 200.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 04:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, Burrow wasn't a 5 star recruit.  He was actually a lower 4, and ranked outside the top 200.

Rivals  has Burrow as a 3 star and 247Sports has him as 4 star but with a very low national rank as a 4 star.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 03:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Joe Burrow was a 3 star recruit.

(08-01-2020, 04:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, Burrow wasn't a 5 star recruit.  He was actually a lower 4, and ranked outside the top 200.

(08-01-2020, 04:23 PM)Synric Wrote: Rivals  has Burrow as a 3 star and 247Sports has him as 4 star but with a very low national rank as a 4 star.

I see the confusion here.  Due to my more advanced intellect I use a scale of 1 to 8 instead of 1 to 5.

Sorry that I did not made that clear.  Sometimes I forget how many of you are incapable of grasping something so obvious.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
Vinnie Rey is always going to be one of favorite Bengals of all time. Remember what he said about grinding? He was a grinder. Maybe not the most talented guy, but he made things happen for himself. Undrafted out of Duke, he made the roster his rookie season, and ended up starting and was a special teams captain.

I bring him up because I think Joebi-Wan's got alot of those same traits. He grings i the film room as much as he grinds in the weight room and the practice field. And he damn sure grinds during games, right Clemson?

Who Dey!!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 09:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Most superstar QBs taken number one n the draft are confident because they have been a dominate force since high school.  Their confidence is all in their ability.  But Burrow went from a 5-star recruit to a benchwarmer at OSU.  He did not become a starter until his fourth yaer in college and even then he was not that great (12 ranked QB in the SEC).  But he kept grinding and working hard and the results were arguably the greatest season ever by a college QB.

Dan Patrick interviewed Joe before the draft and afterwards he said Burrow was "over confident", but then he quickly added "but in a good way".  It is not really possible to be "over confident" in a good way, but I think I understand what Patrick was trying to say.  The QB who was just confident because he has always been great will often have problems if he struggles in the NFL.  Burrow seems to have the type of confidence that will allow him to shrug off any bumps in the road.  He has already experienced set backs, but he is confident that if he just keeps grinding it will all work out.  

I am not saying he does not have confidence in his skills, but he has much more than that.  He is older than most rookies and has already had to learn the sytems of three different OCs.  He is confident in his ability to learn and adapt.  This will serve him well in learning how to play in the NFL.

Who DeyJoeWho Dey

Good and encouraging points.  And it appears he has the necessary foundation of talent that indicate he doesn't just have a high floor but the potential for a good ceiling as well.

No guarantees for sure.  But I would say Montana entered the league with a similar skill set - just not yet as realized as Burrow in his fifth season.
Reply/Quote
If he fails It won’t be due to laziness or lack of preparation that’s for sure. He isn’t going to be a Johnny Manziel/Jamarcus Russell /Ryan Leaf QB who doesn’t prepare and/or is just plain lazy. If he does not succeed then Zac will be gone (and rightfully so).
You just never know who’s going to pan out but I really like his chances because of his work ethic and previous failures. He just seems to have the most important traits for being a great NFL QB.

And if you need to feel better or more confident about the Bengals future just go rewatch that LSU/Clemson championship game.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 01:58 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: If he fails It won’t be due to laziness or lack of preparation that’s for sure. He isn’t going to be a Johnny Manziel/Jamarcus Russell /Ryan Leaf QB who doesn’t prepare and/or is just plain lazy. If he does not succeed then Zac will be gone (and rightfully so).
You just never know who’s going to pan out but I really like his chances because of his work ethic and previous failures.  He just seems to have the most important traits for being a great NFL QB.

And if you need to feel better or more confident about the Bengals future just go rewatch that LSU/Clemson championship game.

Well said Clark, hard to see Burrow failing. He just seems to have the IT factor.
Reply/Quote
If the season goes on as planned and burrow doesn't catch zombie flu or get seriously affected by it. I see him having a Mahomes type rookie season. I seen Elite NFL throws all through the championship game VS Clemson. He never gets greedy and always makes the correct read. Fearless in the face of pressure and hits eventual target quickly and accurately
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 03:05 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If the season goes on as planned and burrow doesn't catch zombie flu or get seriously affected by it. I see him having a Mahomes type rookie season. I seen Elite NFL throws all through the championship game VS Clemson. He never gets greedy and always makes the correct read. Fearless in the face of pressure and hits eventual target quickly and accurately

The way he can just take a picture of a Defense before the play, throw Receivers open and manage a pocket is extremely rare.
Reply/Quote
I can see Burrow throwing 30 TD.passes if the oline can gel and mature. Yes he can break Mayfields
Record. Mayfield isn't half the QB Burrow is.
I can see AJ getting 10 TDS.
Boyd 6
Ross 7
Tate 5
Mixon 3
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 10:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I can see Burrow throwing 30 TD.passes if the oline can gel and mature. Yes he can break Mayfields
Record. Mayfield isn't half the QB Burrow is.
I can see AJ getting 10 TDS.
Boyd 6
Ross 7
Tate 5
Mixon 3

Those are realistic numbers. I would actually hope Ross has more than that if he can stay healthy.

You have to think Uzomah probably has a couple, too.

Reply/Quote
Thinking on it a bit more that might be a tad high for Tate. Still, you don’t even have Higgins having any.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 12:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Thinking on it a bit more that might be a tad high for Tate. Still, you don’t even have Higgins having any.

Higgy baby might be an underrated rookie if we had one.

Even if he is an early 2nd round pick, he still seems a bit underrated to me. Tee has great hands.
Reply/Quote