Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The kick to go to overtime....
No one has mentioned this, but :03 seconds left after the time out, and Jessie Bates III is in Minnesota's backfield walking around with Joseph,  talking to him. Then Brian O'Neill comes over to talk to Bates and walk him back to his side of the field. They didn't go to school together, Joseph went to Florida Atlantic and Bates went to Wake Forest, O'Neill went to Pittsburgh. So I wonder what that conversation was. I don't know that I have ever seen a player from the opposing team go into the other teams backfield to yak at the kicker. We all know kickers tend to stay off to themselves prior to a kick.  Looked friendly enough, but was Bates pulling a Jerry Porter?  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I did find it humorous nobody on the Vikes was there to protect the guy… he made the field goal though so maybe it backfired.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No one has mentioned this, but :03 seconds left after the time out, and Jessie Bates III is in Minnesota's backfield walking around with Joseph,  talking to him. Then Brian O'Neill comes over to talk to Bates and walk him back to his side of the field. They didn't go to school together, Joseph went to Florida Atlantic and Bates went to Wake Forest, O'Neill went to Pittsburgh. So I wonder what that conversation was. I don't know that I have ever seen a player from the opposing team go into the other teams backfield to yak at the kicker. We all know kickers tend to stay off to themselves prior to a kick.  Looked friendly enough, but was Bates pulling a Jerry Porter?  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

He was probably just talking a little trash and trying to get into a rookie kickers head a little bit. Obviously didn't work but seemed like it was nothing serious. One of the Vikings linemen came up and politely guided Bates away, it looked like they were both smiling. 
Reply/Quote
It was hard to see from the other side of the field... the Vikings kicker missed the 1st field goal for the tie correct? Or did he make both
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I imagine it was very similar to the talk Jake Taylor gave in Major League to Rexman.

"Hey, Rexman! Hell of a situation we got here. Two on, two out, your team down a run and you've got the chance to be the hero on national television... if you don't blow it. Saw your wife at the Capri Lounge last night. Hell of a dancer. You should be very very proud. Oh, and that guy she was with? I'm sure he's a close personal friend and all, but tell me, what was he doing wearing her panties on his head?"

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 03:02 PM)QueenCity Wrote: It was hard to see from the other side of the field... the Vikings kicker missed the 1st field goal for the tie correct? Or did he make both

No he did make both of em. I assumed he was just there trash talkin having fun, nothing malicious. The kicker and him both looked like they chuckled on TV and Bates was telling the Viking player that came to get him out of there what was going on in a playful manner but he wasn't trying to hear it lol. Think the announcers even commented about him doing it in a playful manner. 

Like someone else said it was funny that there was noone there to protect him and how long it took for someone to come get Bates out of there.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:42 PM)TheFan Wrote: He was probably just talking a little trash and trying to get into a rookie kickers head a little bit. Obviously didn't work but seemed like it was nothing serious. One of the Vikings linemen came up and politely guided Bates away, it looked like they were both smiling. 

Bates and the lineman were smiling. Their kicker was stone faced trying to ignore Bates the whole time.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 08:36 PM)jason Wrote: Bates and the lineman were smiling. Their kicker was stone faced trying to ignore Bates the whole time.

Ah, I must be mixing the 2 up I knew I saw him chuckling with one of em.
Reply/Quote
It was quite odd ???
Reply/Quote
When he made the field goal I was a little pissed because the kicker probably thought "I'm going to show this butthead that he can't intimidate me". And sure enough he did.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 02:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No one has mentioned this, but :03 seconds left after the time out, and Jessie Bates III is in Minnesota's backfield walking around with Joseph,  talking to him. Then Brian O'Neill comes over to talk to Bates and walk him back to his side of the field. They didn't go to school together, Joseph went to Florida Atlantic and Bates went to Wake Forest, O'Neill went to Pittsburgh. So I wonder what that conversation was. I don't know that I have ever seen a player from the opposing team go into the other teams backfield to yak at the kicker. We all know kickers tend to stay off to themselves prior to a kick.  Looked friendly enough, but was Bates pulling a Jerry Porter?  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

this scene?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Jerry porter had an underrated 5 year run in Oakland
Reply/Quote