Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Roe Vs Wade Overturned
(04-02-2024, 12:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Anyone voting for Trump, which you acknowledged will be more people than vote for Biden, is going to also vote for Scott.  I don't see abortion peeling away any of those voters.  I say that while completely agreeing with you that the issue is an albatross for the GOP.

I don't know. We're not talking about a boatload of votes here. It won't take too many people who only vote the top of the ballot or split the vote to defeat Scott.  

And more Republican women will vote for reproductive rights than they say they will in the polls.  It is the unknown which is why Republicans cannot take Florida for granted this year

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 12:35 PM)pally Wrote: I don't know. We're not talking about a boatload of votes here. It won't take too many people who only vote the top of the ballot or split the vote to defeat Scott.  

And more Republican women will vote for reproductive rights than they say they will in the polls.  It is the unknown which is why Republicans cannot take Florida for granted this year

I'll concede all those points.  If it was a non-POTUS election year I think you'd be on very solid ground.  The presidential election is going to be what drives voters to the polls, especially this year, and I cannot see significant numbers of Trump voters peeling off Scott based on this issue.  I do see them peeling off for the ballot measure on this exact issue though.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 12:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'll concede all those points.  If it was a non-POTUS election year I think you'd be on very solid ground.  The presidential election is going to be what drives voters to the polls, especially this year, and I cannot see significant numbers of Trump voters peeling off Scott based on this issue.  I do see them peeling off for the ballot measure on this exact issue though.

The wildcard in Florida is the over 1 million college students in the state.  I know when Issue 1 was on the ballot in Ohio the students voting in favor of it were the difference in several normally ruby red counties.  If they come out in force they can turn the election.

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 04:16 PM)pally Wrote: The wildcard in Florida is the over 1 million college students in the state.  I know when Issue 1 was on the ballot in Ohio the students voting in favor of it were the difference in several normally ruby red counties.  If they come out in force they can turn the election.

I don't think all of them can vote if they are from another State or still have ID from another state. 

Anyways, i hope it passes, would be nice to force the R's to give some ground on it.

Right now the all or nothing isn't really a good approach. If they did the meet in the middle (1st trimester) then I'd bet they flip alot of votes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 07:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LOL The double tap of the piss stick. What a video.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 08:35 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: LOL The double tap of the piss stick. What a video.

Some red states are just sick.
Reply/Quote
I can see the 2A defenders who don't want a government list of their own riding in to defend the women from this!

[Image: Screenshot-2024-05-10-155506.png]

Any time now...
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 04:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: I can see the 2A defenders who don't want a government list of their own riding in to defend the women from this!

Any time now...

I thought that her over-the-top State of the Union response was creepy but gave her a bit of grace because maybe she was nervous...but this shows that Stepford Wife creepy is her default.

We've known all along this type of thing is exactly what these Christian Nationalists want

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 04:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: I can see the 2A defenders who don't want a government list of their own riding in to defend the women from this!

Any time now...

Yeah that’s insane.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 02:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah that’s insane.

Yup.  Not seeing anyone hear advocating or defending it either.

Reply/Quote
Every time a Republican does something like this, you can hear the footsteps of women running the the Democrats

Reply/Quote
Remember what a better world this would be if women ruled it. Seems the top crazies in the Republican Party consist of a lot of XX LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 05:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yup.  Not seeing anyone hear advocating or defending it either.

I'm kind of surprised that the GOP powers that be aren't putting a tad more effort into dialing back rhetoric such as Britt's.  There are rumors (that I actually believe) that Trump himself was fairly vocal about his belief that restricting abortion would damage the party more than others in the ranks expected.  

There's got to be an adult around to tell states not to try to criminalize citizens leaving for procedures in abortion-legal states.  I actually recall a local Cincy talk show guy (Mike Allen, a disgraced former prosecutor) emphasizing that it was insane to think that the overturning of Roe would result in such draconian policies as penalizing for out of state abortions.

Every time the GOP downplays the changes to the federal law as totally not a big deal, someone like this is right there to paint the picture that Dems probably couldn't pay an ad agency to dream up for them.  

I could actually see Trump changing the party narrative on the issue.  There's zero chance that the guy is actually pro life.  I would venture a guess that's he's paid for a few himself.  He does things for people who say nice things about him, and that would be evangelicals in this case.

Either way, he's got enough of a grip on that party that he'd surely  get away with it.  He's done worse without much consequence.  Trump doesn't need a platform because he is the platform.  If he softens on the issue, most of the anti-abortion GOP with suck it up and deal with it.  There may not be another party leader with that kind of juice for decades.   
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 09:48 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm kind of surprised that the GOP powers that be aren't putting a tad more effort into dialing back rhetoric such as Britt's.  There are rumors (that I actually believe) that Trump himself was fairly vocal about his belief that restricting abortion would damage the party more than others in the ranks expected.  

There's got to be an adult around to tell states not to try to criminalize citizens leaving for procedures in abortion-legal states.  I actually recall a local Cincy talk show guy (Mike Allen, a disgraced former prosecutor) emphasizing that it was insane to think that the overturning of Roe would result in such draconian policies as penalizing for out of state abortions.

Every time the GOP downplays the changes to the federal law as totally not a big deal, someone like this is right there to paint the picture that Dems probably couldn't pay an ad agency to dream up for them.  

I could actually see Trump changing the party narrative on the issue.  There's zero chance that the guy is actually pro life.  I would venture a guess that's he's paid for a few himself.  He does things for people who say nice things about him, and that would be evangelicals in this case.

Either way, he's got enough of a grip on that party that he'd surely  get away with it.  He's done worse without much consequence.  Trump doesn't need a platform because he is the platform.  If he softens on the issue, most of the anti-abortion GOP with suck it up and deal with it.  There may not be another party leader with that kind of juice for decades.   

Does it matter on the national level if abortion restrictions are unpopular?  Trump lost the popular vote but won in 2016 and appointed 3 SC justices who overturned Roe and he's likely to lose the popular vote in 2024 but win again where he can implement a national ban. 

Republican policies don't have to be popular to get passed, otherwise Roe wouldn't have been overturned in the first place. 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 06:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Remember what a better world this would be if women ruled it. Seems the top crazies in the Republican Party consist of a lot of XX LOL

Women do not vote like that, even on an issue like abortion. If they blocked together like other groups, there would have been multiple female presidents, decades ago.

There seems to be more than enough crazy to go around these days.

Anything to get on center stage I suppose...
Reply/Quote