Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
Greetings Jim,

And many thanks for taking the time and putting up with us on here. It's much appreciated !

I know it's way early but is there any indication who might be the starting RDE ? MJ struggled a bit last season and the lack of pressure from that side hurt the other pretty bad in my humble opinion.

Thanks
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When it comes to injuries, have you ever known any reporter to ask to see medical records to verify information?
Reply/Quote
Hey JimO,

Now that we are out of training camp mode, based on what you've seen who are your 2-3 picks for surprise cuts of veteran Bengals?
Reply/Quote
Jim--

Who is the funniest Bengal?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The D Line and in fact the whole defense is looking terrible so far, but it's just the second preseason game. Is it too early to panic?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2017, 09:34 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: The D Line and in fact the whole defense is looking terrible so far, but it's just the second preseason game.  Is it too early to panic?

It's never too early to panic.  You want proof?  Jungle Noise.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
@trademark -  do you think Mixon will be the starter by mid season?

Not sure if it matters, to be honest. If Jeremy Hill is averaging 4 yards per carry at that point, he’ll still be starting – but Mixon will be worked in.

@gramaphol - so on what would be the odds of getting the players and coaches as a group to do a regular ranking of the so called pundits who are forever issuing their own rankings of teams, players and coaches.

Heh. This would be interesting. Well, the players and coaches aren’t shy about talking to us about things they don’t like or don’t agree with, which is good. In my experience in pro locker rooms and clubhouses (dating back to 2003, in all four major sports and pro golf) most players and coaches don’t “like” the media and wouldn’t really like most criticism. Generally speaking though, they are OK with fair critiques.

@bengalfan74 -  any indication who might be the starting RDE

Right now, it is Johnson. I do think he’s having struggles there, however. But I can’t see him getting the same number of snaps he got a year or two years ago.

@oncemoreuntothejimbreech - have you ever known any reporter to ask to see medical records to verify information?

Medical records are legally protected. No doctor should ever let anyone see those. There was a reason (and a good one) Schefter was sued.

@MaineBengal - 2-3 picks for surprise cuts of veteran Bengals?

Well, BT went today, but I don’t know if that was a surprise. I don’t know if Eric Winston would be a surprise. I guess Johnson is the only one that would really fit in that category.

@McCfunniest Bengal

Iloka.

@BonnieBengal too early to panic.

Yes, but it’s worth being concerned.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Jim, all you need is patient consent. Every week I have patient or legal guardian sign a consent form because they want me to release information to third party not involved in their treatment.

https://www.caring.com/forms/hipaa-release-form/free-hipaa-release-form.pdf

The form makes it convenient, but it isn't necessary. I've written it in plain English and then both i and the patient sign it and I have it scanned into their chart.
Reply/Quote
What are your impressions of some of the newer players?  Specifically:

Billings - (to me has problems with lane integrity).  Does he look like he'll amount to much?

Evans - seems like a good player to me - fast

Minter - I'm not impressed

Tupou - seems to maintain his lane and is a load - does he make the team?

Glascow - doesn't seem too special

Other players that stand out to you - besides Smith and Willis  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 06:28 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @MaineBengal - 2-3 picks for surprise cuts of veteran Bengals?

Well, BT went today, but I don’t know if that was a surprise. I don’t know if Eric Winston would be a surprise. I guess Johnson is the only one that would really fit in that category.

Wow, I realize he's old but if Winston goes, who is backing up the tackles? I see Kent Perkins on our roster but I'm not familiar with him at all. 

Also, it seems pretty rare that the Bengals will pick up anyone after other teams have made their cuts (Sept 3rd this year I believe). I understand that some of that is wanting team cohesion and to keep people you've practiced with all pre-season on the team, but if you're talking backups, certainly that could make some sense this year right?

Reply/Quote
I just watched this season’s first live episode of “Beyond The Stripes”, which I enjoyed.  The audio and video were fine.  The seats you were sitting on looked a little uncomfortable.  I think it looks better when you all are sitting at a table.  Sometimes the people in the window behind you were distracting.

I always liked Domata Peko.  I thought he was a good player and a really nice guy, but I think Andrew Billings will be a very good replacement.  This show was the first time I had a chance to see him.  I am impressed with his massive size, strength and speed.  

And congratulations on finally getting Geno Atkins to talk to you.
Reply/Quote
@oncemoreuntothejimbreech – yeah, no one is signing that with the idea that the media is the third party they’re consenting to. And who’s to say they even signed that. And if I did, the team would never do that. If I’m a player, I’m not. Regular people do because we don’t read things and just sign away our lives for public sale for which we get no money (which is a whole other tangent I'll just drop now).

@3wt – Evans: I like him thus far. But I also liked how Dawson looked his rookie camp/preseason. We’ll have to see how he develops, if he does. So that background gives me a little bit of pause.

Minter: He was signed to be the MLB in base. I feel he is faster than Maualuga, and he gets to the right spot, at the right time, and is a sure tackler. He was not signed to play nickel and cover tight ends … but when they pass out of the 4-3 and he’s asked to be there, I don’t think he’s leaving a TE or RB just wide open.

Tupou: They like him. He doesn’t make the team, but is a priority PS signing.

Glasgow: Not sure if he’s “special” but he’s flashed enough. He’s on the team, likely inactive every week if Sims/Billings healthy all year.

Other “standouts” – Josh Malone is more polished than I thought he’d be as a receiver. Joe Mixon is the real deal.

@BoomerFan – I think the team showed you vs. Washington by having Andre Smith play left tackle the entire half. Kent Perkins definitely not on the 53-man roster. Waiver claims can be rare, but remember – they claimed Driskel and Russell. Duke Tobin breaks the whys and hows on that, here. It’s about talent at that point, not cohesion:
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/27/inside-cincinnati-bengals-pro-personnel-decisions/604897001/

@OBXBengal – thanks for watching! Yeah, I think we’ll kind of have to adjust the set as we go with the new location. Thanks for the feedback!
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Hey Jim! Again, thanks so much for answering our questions.

I had a thought/idea recently and wanted to get your take ... we all know that the Bengals won't trade McCarron without getting a lot in return. But do you think there is a chance that they are holding on to McCarron with the idea being that maybe they give him a shot in a year or two if Dalton doesn't win a playoff game?
Reply/Quote
Jim,

As always, thank you for taking the time to speak with and answer us fans. It's greatly appreciated.

I'm sure this has probably been asked, but there are a lot of pages that I don't feel like sifting through. It appears that Driskel is the backup QB of the future. I figure that's why they kept him on the roster last year and if he's not put on IR with his broken fingers, he'll be on the roster this year. If that is the thinking, why is McCarron still on the team? There were the rumors that they were offered a 1st and 4th last year that they turned down. There were rumors that they were offered a 2nd before the draft. There were also rumors that the Jets were willing to trade Sheldon Richardson for him. Where there's smoke, there's fire. I have no doubt teams have contacted the Bengals about McCarron. We also know Mike Brown covets compensatory picks like no other. Any of those offers are worth a ton more than a 3rd round (at best) compensatory pick. Why are the Bengals killing themselves and McCarron's trade value? Either Mike Brown is even dumber than I originally thought or are there plans to make him the starter here?

This whole situation seems to have been severely misplayed if the team expects to lose McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 01:38 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @oncemoreuntothejimbreech – yeah, no one is signing that with the idea that the media is the third party they’re consenting to. And who’s to say they even signed that. And if I did, the team would never do that. If I’m a player, I’m not. Regular people do because we don’t read things and just sign away our lives for public sale for which we get no money (which is a whole other tangent I'll just drop now).

@3wt – Evans: I like him thus far. But I also liked how Dawson looked his rookie camp/preseason. We’ll have to see how he develops, if he does. So that background gives me a little bit of pause.

Minter: He was signed to be the MLB in base. I feel he is faster than Maualuga, and he gets to the right spot, at the right time, and is a sure tackler. He was not signed to play nickel and cover tight ends … but when they pass out of the 4-3 and he’s asked to be there, I don’t think he’s leaving a TE or RB just wide open.

Tupou: They like him. He doesn’t make the team, but is a priority PS signing.

Glasgow: Not sure if he’s “special” but he’s flashed enough. He’s on the team, likely inactive every week if Sims/Billings healthy all year.

Other “standouts” – Josh Malone is more polished than I thought he’d be as a receiver. Joe Mixon is the real deal.

@BoomerFan – I think the team showed you vs. Washington by having Andre Smith play left tackle the entire half. Kent Perkins definitely not on the 53-man roster. Waiver claims can be rare, but remember – they claimed Driskel and Russell. Duke Tobin breaks the whys and hows on that, here. It’s about talent at that point, not cohesion:
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/27/inside-cincinnati-bengals-pro-personnel-decisions/604897001/

@OBXBengal – thanks for watching! Yeah, I think we’ll kind of have to adjust the set as we go with the new location. Thanks for the feedback!

Both the NFL and the media reports injuries. Why would a team or player say no if all you're going to see in the record is the same as what they report to the media?
Reply/Quote
What is the mood of the players after that beatdown? Few fans have any faith in Marvin, have the players lost faith as well?
Reply/Quote
Who is the emergency 3rd string QB on the team? I think it was Sanu when he was here but was wondering who would go in there now that he's gone if we run into injury trouble.
Reply/Quote
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/09/13/colin-cowherd-blasts-andy-dalton-eli-manning-without-talent/662580001/

Jim, have you ever had the displeasure of meeting Colin Cowherd? If so, was he the most unlikable person in sports you've ever met, or just the second most unlikable? (Which I guess would mean you've met Skip Bayless.)

(09-14-2017, 12:31 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Who is the emergency 3rd string QB on the team? I think it was Sanu when he was here but was wondering who would go in there now that he's gone if we run into injury trouble.

Alex Erickson was a QB in High School, so presumably him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hey Jim do you get a sense from the team that they regret losing Whitworth this offseason?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 09:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Hey Jim do you get a sense from the team that they regret losing Whitworth this offseason?

During the Thursday night telecast, Chris Collinsworth stated Marvin was livid about him not being retained and that he thought they had agreed to a deal.  I would have to assume the rest of the team feels the same way.  But you were asking Jim, not me...

Jim, was there ever any thought to demoting Zampese instead of terminating him?  The 7 post seasons that we have seen in the Marvin lewis era all had him as the QB coach, and there has been a very noticeable difference in Dalton's play without him as his position coach.   Just curious if the team thought about that as well.
Reply/Quote