Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
(10-19-2017, 08:09 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @SHRacerX – Cody Core/vertical threat

Great question. All I can surmise (and I don’t know this for sure, because honestly the coaches have been a bit edgy since the Zampese firing) is that he’s not doing what they want to see in practice. Generally speaking, when we wonder why a certain player isn’t on the field – it’s because he hasn’t earned it during the week or weeks prior to. I’ve only seen Core on the field of late to basically give Green his breathers.

Now, this also could be a function of the new OC. The deep drops for Dalton have greatly diminished in order to protect him. It’s hard to go deep when you want the ball out in 2.5 seconds, which is what he’s averaging since Lazor took over. So perhaps they feel LaFell is still better at what he’s being asked to do than, say, Core. But you’re right – with no Ross or Eifert this team is right back to where they were a year ago with no one else who can get open in a step outside of Green.

@Truck_1_0_1_ - Ya, covering golf is great Big Grin

Thanks for being here for us, big guy.  Speaking only for me, every time you respond, it's like a letter from home that I can't wait to read or a care package in Boot Camp.  I'd say keep up the good work but it doesn't even need to be said.  Rock on, Jimbo.

I have a question.  Have you ever been called Jimbo?  I usually end up calling every Jim I ever meet Jimbo at some point and it doesn't even matter much if they like it or not because I like it so much.   Due to its vital importance, I feel this question must be answered post haste.

Another question, equally vital--where'd you go to school?   Or any other details about yourself you'd like to divulge.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 01:49 AM)McC Wrote: Thanks for being here for us, big guy.  Speaking only for me, every time you respond, it's like a letter from home that I can't wait to read or a care package in Boot Camp.  I'd say keep up the good work but it doesn't even need to be said.  Rock on, Jimbo.

I have a question.  Have you ever been called Jimbo?  I usually end up calling every Jim I ever meet Jimbo at some point and it doesn't even matter much if they like it or not because I like it so much.   Due to its vital importance, I feel this question must be answered post haste.

Another question, equally vital--where'd you go to school?   Or any other details about yourself you'd like to divulge.

As a writer who gets, tickles, provokes, intrigues, offends, pleases many different minds who read? He's probably been called many names. Jimbo, dildo, assho, carpel tunno, etc! Hilarious

Good work James!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: As a writer who gets, tickles, provokes, intrigues, offends, pleases many different minds who read? He's probably been called many names. Jimbo, dildo, assho, carpel tunno, etc! Hilarious

Good work James!
You are ***** nuts. In other words, my kinda guy.  I'll bet you keep 'em laughing down at the biker bar.  And humor is the elixir of life, as all wise men and even lots of stupid men know. 

But, for God sake, put a ***** muffler on that damn thing.  Guy lives three houses away from me, comes home from work somewhere in the vicinity of 5 AM every day.  And you can just imagine how quiet he is. 

There's a 90 year old, mostly deaf guy way down at the end of the street.  I hear that, once in a while, if he's had enough beers, he can sleep through the thunder.  But no one else can.  I swear on certain nights, my bed walks across the room from the shaking.  He's a Harley Dog too.  But he never makes me laugh.

The median age of Harley riders, according to my own very informal research, has risen dramatically, hasn't it?  At least around me they have.  Not sure what that means for the future of the icon.  Wonder how often they talk about that in Milwaukee.

Went way off the road there.  Many apologies.  Will never happen again.  Until the next time I forget my manners and the rules, that is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 11:50 PM)McC Wrote: You are ***** nuts. In other words, my kinda guy.  I'll bet you keep 'em laughing down at the biker bar.  And humor is the elixir of life, as all wise men and even lots of stupid men know. 

But, for God sake, put a ***** muffler on that damn thing.  Guy lives three houses away from me, comes home from work somewhere in the vicinity of 5 AM every day.  And you can just imagine how quiet he is. 

There's a 90 year old, mostly deaf guy way down at the end of the street.  I hear that, once in a while, if he's had enough beers, he can sleep through the thunder.  But no one else can.  I swear on certain nights, my bed walks across the room from the shaking.  He's a Harley Dog too.  But he never makes me laugh.

The median age of Harley riders, according to my own very informal research, has risen dramatically, hasn't it?  At least around me they have.  Not sure what that means for the future of the icon.  Wonder how often they talk about that in Milwaukee.

Went way off the road there.  Many apologies.  Will never happen again.  Until the next time I forget my manners and the rules, that is.

I'm 50 and get dry eye easy. You wont hear me coming down the road at 6am. That's because I drive a 1998 Buick Century. LOL. My bike is sitting in my mancave. I could ride it any time I wanted if I wanted to deal with a few days of eye pain (don't have a windshield or wear a helmet - so I rely on sunglasses to keep the wind out of my eyes). As for my comment, in no way was that a slam on Jim (and no you didn't imply - just clarifying). It was just a little bit of humor to bring a smile to many who need it. We are Bengals fans so the need is great.

Reply/Quote
Jim, follow up question to the "halftime adjustments = journalistic jargon" question last time.

Can you ask Marvin for us if the OL is still not a concern?

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-doesnt-mind-17-urgency/3054bdc8-d4c8-4286-9e4c-b301e614839c
“(The line is) not a concern."

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 10:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jim, follow up question to the "halftime adjustments = journalistic jargon" question last time.

Can you ask Marvin for us if the OL is still not a concern?

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-doesnt-mind-17-urgency/3054bdc8-d4c8-4286-9e4c-b301e614839c
“(The line is) not a concern."

Ninja

And ask Andy if he agrees.

Reply/Quote
Just curious why do the Bengals have a certain price tag( and won't go a penni over) on starting players like Marvin Jones, Andrew Whitworth, and Kevin Zeitler but yet they have no problem overpaying a backup like V Rey and Minter ( I know he is a starter but he only plays between 30 and 40 % of the time)?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Jim, this is an honest question, though you may be reluctant to answer it.

Do you think marv has any self-awareness of what a weak, ineffectual leader of men and coach he is?

Maybe a nicer way to ask it is, have you or Paul D ever, at any time, felt Marv showed that he realizes how poor his head coaching legacy is in Cincy?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I knew, being Steelers week and another week of just extra b.s. coming out, I should check back more often. Thanks for the questions! Here we go:

@McC - Have you ever been called Jimbo? I usually end up calling every Jim I ever meet Jimbo at some point and it doesn't even matter much if they like it or not because I like it so much. Due to its vital importance, I feel this question must be answered post haste.

Another question, equally vital--where'd you go to school? Or any other details about yourself you'd like to divulge.

Ha! I have not been called Jimbo and I don’t like Jimbo. I guess if I was like 6-8, 300 like Jimbo Covert I’d be OK with it :-)

I went to North Central College in Naperville, Ill. Small D3 college. I rep that s---. They’re good in revenue sports now!

All I’ll say about myself you can’t otherwise find online is I rep the Southside of Chicago every day, all day. Second adopted home was Milwaukee, and now Cincinnati. I’m Midwest through and through.

@HarleyDog - As a writer who gets, tickles, provokes, intrigues, offends, pleases many different minds who read? He's probably been called many names. Jimbo, dildo, assho, carpel tunno, etc!

Ha! Never a Jimbo though. At least that I can recall.

Oh, gents – no slights taken :-)

@TheLeonardLeap - - Can you ask Marvin for us if the OL is still not a concern?

Heh. Well, we ask him weekly about the tackles and all he says is it’s “a week to week thing.”
I forgot about the ‘not a concern’ line. Honestly, the fact they are rotating means it IS a concern, so it’s an implied “yes” to that question?

@jakeypoo - Just curious why do the Bengals have a certain price tag( and won't go a penni over) on starting players like Marvin Jones, Andrew Whitworth, and Kevin Zeitler but yet they have no problem overpaying a backup like V Rey and Minter ( I know he is a starter but he only plays between 30 and 40 % of the time)?

They actually matched Jones’ offer in Detroit dollar for dollar and year for year (the structure was slightly different re: bonuses paid out) but Jones let it be known he didn’t want to be in Green’s shadow as a No. 2. He wanted to be THE guy.

That transitions to Whit/Zeit etc.

The Bengals believe in paying elite money for elite positions. Guard is not an elite position in their view. Left tackle is. Whit was paid as such, and was offered a 1-year deal at elite LT money. At 35 years old, the club wasn’t comfortable giving him the years and money L.A. did. That was a business decision.

As for Rey/Minter – not sure Rey is “overpaid.” I mean, maybe he is in the view of the league, but not here. For instance – he starts in all the games Burfict misses, which has been quite a few. He also will now start for Minter if he misses games. So they view him as a “starter” in many ways, though that is not his role. At that position, the team clearly placed a value on that versatility.

I have a hard time saying a one-year deal is overpaid (i.e. Minter) unless it’s like Glennon in Chicago.

Here’s how to view the Bengals: Elite for elite. It’s no secret the top paid players on the team are QB, WR1, pass rushers 1-3 (Geno, Carlos, MJ), corners 1-3 (Kirkpatrick, Jones, Dennard in ’18) and Burfict. They paid out for LT. Trust me – if Eifert had been healthy in 2015 he would have gotten top TE money. They were ready to do that. His body prevented it.

@rfaulk34 - Do you think marv has any self-awareness of what a weak, ineffectual leader of men and coach he is?

Maybe a nicer way to ask it is, have you or Paul D ever, at any time, felt Marv showed that he realizes how poor his head coaching legacy is in Cincy?

Here’s the thing: he’s never lost the locker room. Honestly, don’t buy into stuff you see nationally when it comes to that topic. They’re not in the locker room, EVER. I’m there every day. So, regardless of what Marvin projects through his oftentimes awkward and frustrating public comments – he still reaches his guys. There are 10 games left in this season of course, but in my 2 years and 7 weeks covering this team through this downturn, he hasn’t lost those guys. So, he actually is an effective leader of THOSE men.

And honestly, after 15 years, I can tell you Marvin doesn’t care one lick how he’s perceived outside of PBS.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:45 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @rfaulk34 - Do you think marv has any self-awareness of what a weak, ineffectual leader of men and coach he is?

Here’s the thing: he’s never lost the locker room. Honestly, don’t buy into stuff you see nationally when it comes to that topic. They’re not in the locker room, EVER. I’m there every day. So, regardless of what Marvin projects through his oftentimes awkward and frustrating public comments – he still reaches his guys. There are 10 games left in this season of course, but in my 2 years and 7 weeks covering this team through this downturn, he hasn’t lost those guys. So, he actually is an effective leader of THOSE men.

And honestly, after 15 years, I can tell you Marvin doesn’t care one lick how he’s perceived outside of PBS.

Follow up question. How much could the 'hasn't lost the locker room' be, that players know they're entrenched on this team. It takes an awful lot for a guy to get benched or released, in most cases.

If you have such a good situation, why rock the boat (as far as how you interact with the coach) and end up jeopardizing your career?

The reason i ask that is, it doesn't appear to me that guys like AJones and Vontaze really respect him based on the stupid stuff they do on the field...and in some cases, off the field. It's been that way with players from the past too.

I guess, also, part of my question was...considering his almost .500 overall record and his record breaking 0-7 in the playoffs, as well as his poor record in prime time games not played on Thursday (he's 0-fer on Sunday night), as well as his abysmal record against Pitt...how can anyone with a shred of dignity, continue to continue? As you said; he doesn't give a lick how he's perceived. But anyone with a bit of self-awareness has to see just how poor of an NFL coach he is.

Of course, since his players know how good they have it...he's probably in the same boat with Mike Brown. Pretty much anything any of them do, is unlikely to effect any kind of major change with this team.

So now that my lengthy rant is over...basically, if you love NFL football and you're a Bengals fan or reporter...you're pretty much screwed ever hoping to see a championship contender any time soon, if ever.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
@rfaulk34 - Follow up question. How much could the 'hasn't lost the locker room' be, that players know they're entrenched on this team. It takes an awful lot for a guy to get benched or released, in most cases.

If you have such a good situation, why rock the boat (as far as how you interact with the coach) and end up jeopardizing your career?

I do believe Adam Jones when he said Lewis saved his life. I do believe Burfict when he says he owes his career to Lewis (undrafted FA, Bengals ONLY team to call him). After that, I don’t know … I think all that other stuff that happens with them on or off the field is part of the package. As for the loyalty factor, that is legitimate. Look at the Hill situation. Plays 8 snaps a game but is still the starter. Peko and Maualuga played more than they should have, probably. Clearly Lewis feels he gets more out of them doing that than the other way.

But anyone with a bit of self-awareness has to see just how poor of an NFL coach he is.

Actually, in NFL circles, Lewis is very well respected. And I can tell you – in previewing the Buffalo game, those people couldn’t believe Lewis would be hated here. They haven’t been to the playoffs since 1999 and have had 10 head coaches since then. And I’m sure we’ll hear the same from Chicago people (no playoffs and one season with a winning record since 2010). And of course Cleveland fans think every fan in Cincinnati is insane. So, it’s all about perspective.
If/when Lewis moves on from Cincinnati, he’ll easily find a job with the league, or another team doing something. Head coaching? Maybe. Hard to say on that one. But he likes doing it.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 11:53 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @rfaulk34 - Follow up question. How much could the 'hasn't lost the locker room' be, that players know they're entrenched on this team. It takes an awful lot for a guy to get benched or released, in most cases.

I do believe Adam Jones when he said Lewis saved his life. I do believe Burfict when he says he owes his career to Lewis (undrafted FA, Bengals ONLY team to call him). After that, I don’t know … I think all that other stuff that happens with them on or off the field is part of the package. As for the loyalty factor, that is legitimate. Look at the Hill situation. Plays 8 snaps a game but is still the starter. Peko and Maualuga played more than they should have, probably. Clearly Lewis feels he gets more out of them doing that than the other way.

But anyone with a bit of self-awareness has to see just how poor of an NFL coach he is.

Actually, in NFL circles, Lewis is very well respected. And I can tell you – in previewing the Buffalo game, those people couldn’t believe Lewis would be hated here. They haven’t been to the playoffs since 1999 and have had 10 head coaches since then. And I’m sure we’ll hear the same from Chicago people (no playoffs and one season with a winning record since 2010). And of course Cleveland fans think every fan in Cincinnati is insane. So, it’s all about perspective.
If/when Lewis moves on from Cincinnati, he’ll easily find a job with the league, or another team doing something. Head coaching? Maybe. Hard to say on that one. But he likes doing it.

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the insight from someone on the inside, who can provide more than just speculation from what is seen on a Sunday afternoon on the television. 

Being a Bengals fan and having been around for more than three decades, i can't really say that the amount of respect Marv gets around the league--or in the locker room--is any reassurance at all, (can't really think of an accurate ending to this thought so i'm just going to stop typing here). I just know it feels like it's time for a change but i know with this team, there's about zero percent chance of that happening. 

The disappointment train just keeps chugging along, uninterrupted. Not really that far off from the previously mentioned Bills and Browns.

Reply/Quote
Jim, I know the Bengals value draft picks and in-season trades are a rarity in the NFL. But, do you see any chance the Bengals try to trade for Joe Staley.

He would bolster the OL and is still under contract for next year...
Reply/Quote
Since it is Dunlap mania right now, couple of questions on him:

1. I follow him on IG and he's my age, so I've always followed Dunlap quite closely in everything. His off-field stuff looks tremendous, thus I need to ask; from what you know, Jim, is he revered or recognised at all for his off-field work? Being that he's a Bengal, he doesn't get the coverage for the things he's done; he started the "Spa day for Cancer survivors," a year or two before the rest of the league started doing it, but he only got the 30 second spot during 1 game. So yes, are people aware of all the good he does for the community?

2. Is he considered a leader and is he vocal? He's been doing the crowd-noise thing and trying to get people riled up for about 4/5 years now, but behind the scenes, is he seen as one of the leaders of the D?

3. Who's more funny/comedian between Dunlap, Chris Smith, MJ, Lawson?

4. Is Pro Football Focus mentioned at all by the team, players, etc.? Are their (largely-bogus) ratings paid attention to or is it a form of football techno-babble?

Many thanks for your wodnerful patronage :)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Chilling in Nashville – thanks for your patience, reads and shares as always.

@rfaulk34 - Being a Bengals fan and having been around for more than three decades, i can't really say that the amount of respect Marv gets around the league--or in the locker room--is any reassurance at all, (can't really think of an accurate ending to this thought so i'm just going to stop typing here). I just know it feels like it's time for a change but i know with this team, there's about zero percent chance of that happening.

Just because Marvin is well-respected around the league doesn’t mean he should still be here, or come back in 2018. It’s just merely a statement that local irritation and/or fatigue is just that, local. But doesn’t mean that there can’t be a new staff next year. It’s just a reminder that it’s not actually as bad as 15 years would lead one to believe.

@CincyWestside Jim, I know the Bengals value draft picks and in-season trades are a rarity in the NFL. But, do you see any chance the Bengals try to trade for Joe Staley.

Sorry for delay. Obviously didn’t happen, but the 49ers made it clear they didn’t want to move him so if they did it would have to be a for a ransom. And, he broke his orbital socket literally two days before the deadline – so it’s possible he wouldn’t have passed a physical anyway.

Honestly, I think the value Houston got for Duane Brown eliminated a lot of other teams from trading for an o-lineman.

@Truck_1_0_1 1. I follow him on IG and he's my age, so I've always followed Dunlap quite closely in everything. His off-field stuff looks tremendous, thus I need to ask; from what you know, Jim, is he revered or recognised at all for his off-field work? Being that he's a Bengal, he doesn't get the coverage for the things he's done; he started the "Spa day for Cancer survivors," a year or two before the rest of the league started doing it, but he only got the 30 second spot during 1 game. So yes, are people aware of all the good he does for the community?

He is definitely recognized. He might have been the team’s Man of the Year nominee in 15, maybe? I can’t remember if it was him or Vinny Rey. But ya, it’s pretty well known locally – or it should be.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/10/29/bx-carlos-dunlap-bullying-awareness-effort-resonates-road/808034001/

2. Is he considered a leader and is he vocal? He's been doing the crowd-noise thing and trying to get people riled up for about 4/5 years now, but behind the scenes, is he seen as one of the leaders of the D?

He’s what, 8 years in? Yeah, he’s definitely a leader on the defense for sure. Interesting thing is, none of them are “super vocal” outside of Burfict and Jones. All very quiet, understated dudes. Lead by example types. But Carlos knows when and how to convey a message when he wants to.

3. Who's more funny/comedian between Dunlap, Chris Smith, MJ, Lawson?

Just day to day, Chris Smith is more smiles and laughing but to me, it’s Dunlap. He makes others laugh. Lawson and MJ are really quiet. Carlos will get you if you're not paying attention.

4. Is Pro Football Focus mentioned at all by the team, players, etc.? Are their (largely-bogus) ratings paid attention to or is it a form of football techno-babble?

Nah. Players don’t really care about that. They’ll retweet it or share it on IG if they are tagged and see that they’re awesome, but it’s more of a tool for the coaches and front office.
Reply/Quote
Jim, I have just read where Jerry Jones is threatening a lawsuit over the Goodell contract situation. Has Mike Brown made any statements on where he stands in reguards to a possible lawsuit in particular and the contract extension in general?
Reply/Quote
Hi Jim, thanks for the responses and insight.

Wondered if you can give any insight into the assistant /position coaches?   

What sort of characters are they,  some more vocal than others?   We've had a few good ones pass through and go into HC positions...anyone on the current staff stand out and maybe you can see progress further?
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 01:29 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Jim, I have just read where Jerry Jones is threatening a lawsuit over the Goodell contract situation. 

I heard this and I was like, "Jerry Jones. You're my hero!"
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 04:15 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Hi Jim, thanks for the responses and insight.

Wondered if you can give any insight into the assistant /position coaches?   

What sort of characters are they,  some more vocal than others?   We've had a few good ones pass through and go into HC positions...anyone on the current staff stand out and maybe you can see progress further?

On a similar note: are there any college coaches that the Front office have their eye on? Any of note that YOU think would be ideal replacements for Lewis and/or that Brown might consider?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Are Westerman and Redmon that bad that they are not being given the chance on a poor offensive line?

I know that Hopkins was given opportunities all over the line during the preseason and thought he performed well. I'd be interested in seeing what he can do at LT and putting Ced or one of those guys in at guard.
Reply/Quote