Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banned?
Hey, soooo for some reason my account by a very similar name to this one was banned due to sharing an IP with another member. I can say without a doubt I do not know who this member is (aside from recognizing their username) and as you can see, I was a member with this username over a year ago. I do live in an apartment complex so it's possible they happen to live near me without my knowledge, but seeing as my account did not get banned up until yesterday I don't really see how that's possible or an issue. When I logged on and saw I was banned, I was sitting in a Starbucks, not sure if that would have any effect on this either.

After the site switched to this new board I did not make a new username initially but did recently by a similar username to this. I don't think any of my posts were offensive and in my short 6 posts, I had even received some rep. As you can see from this username, I have also received rep and I don't think I have posted anything offensive.

Is there any way to make sure I don't get banned again due to unknowingly somehow having the same IP as someone? If a mod could respond and possibly shed more light on the issue it would be greatly appreciated. 
(08-27-2016, 09:27 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Hey, soooo for some reason my account by a very similar name to this one was banned due to sharing an IP with another member. I can say without a doubt I do not know who this member is (aside from recognizing their username) and as you can see, I was a member with this username over a year ago. I do live in an apartment complex so it's possible they happen to live near me without my knowledge, but seeing as my account did not get banned up until yesterday I don't really see how that's possible or an issue. When I logged on and saw I was banned, I was sitting in a Starbucks, not sure if that would have any effect on this either.

After the site switched to this new board I did not make a new username initially but did recently by a similar username to this. I don't think any of my posts were offensive and in my short 6 posts, I had even received some rep. As you can see from this username, I have also received rep and I don't think I have posted anything offensive.

Is there any way to make sure I don't get banned again due to unknowingly somehow having the same IP as someone? If a mod could respond and possibly shed more light on the issue it would be greatly appreciated. 

Yeah, the IP ban thing is a slippery slope. I had a family member banned because we shared an IP address. The mods do the best they can to police the forum. 

With my limited IT knowledge; I think IP address simply means you are posting on the same server. While the mac address identifies the machine. That may be a better way to track these things. Either way, it is unsettling that those can determine either. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Happened to me for a day or so and never knew why.

Just figured it was a mistake because never inquired but it reinstated me fairly quickly.

Yet know nobody on here and only post on one account with no alter egos. But do use phone at work and mac book at home. Maybe that was it or something.

Needed the two day break anyway.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Many members have multiple devices. I have logged in on 3 different devices alone at one time when we had day two of the mock draft.

IP addresses will get attention and flags. It's just a way of board life. As long as IP addresses don't come up flagged you are in good shape, no worries. If you have an alter-ego or additional name under the same IP causing problems, worry.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]