Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans
(03-16-2021, 11:46 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:   The minute you start ignoring unpalatable evidence is the moment you stop trying to seek true answers, 

Indeed.  We'll see if this desire gets applied evenly.

I think "even application" is implicated in the principle, isn't it? 

Once we are not applying it "evenly," then we are not applying it at all.

In addition to the principle you stated, I'd like to add another:

Unsupported claims cannot be evidence.

E.g., One-liners like "No it's not!" should count as ignoring unpalatable evidence, not as acknowledging and responding to it. 

If unsupported claims were to count, then the whole point of adducing, acknowledging and responding to evidence would be vitiated. 

If you agree, perhaps we can get the whole forum on board with us. Our arguments will be more likely to stay
focused on thread topics, less likely to become about fellow posters. 

In the context of this thread, you've made an interesting claim--not all racism comes from whites. 
I haven't read every post, but I don't think anyone has disputed this.  

If I have understood your posts so far, you affirm that we must be able to accurately describe and understand a problem in order to solve it. That means in this case, at least in part, that we should see racism as a general phenomenon, not limited to any race. 

So how does the insight that racism is not limited to any race help us understand the violence against Asians seen in Dino's post? E.g., if we agree there has been a rise in violence against Asians, and we can find 1) separate cases in which the perpetrators have been Latino, African-American, and White, and 2) in each of these cases there is no mistake about the racial character of the attack (e.g., because the perp used racial slurs), then in your view, what is the next step in determining the cause of the attacks, or more specifically, the rise in attacks?  

I.e., If we are already recognizing that racism is not limited to whites, then what is the next thing we should be looking for here?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans - Dill - 03-16-2021, 01:05 PM