Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans
(03-16-2021, 06:58 PM)Dill Wrote: Jennifer Lee and Tiffany Huang are sociologists, not historians.

Oh yeah, only historians can engage in revisionist history.  Whatever

Quote:The point of the article, as far as I could tell, was to counter some unspecified news portrayals of violence against Asians framed to suggest a renewal of Black-Korean tensions often portrayed in popular culture, like Spike Lee's film Do the Right Thing.

No one is disputing that Koreans may have been targeted during the LA riots and "fought back."

To an extent, yes they are, and the reasons for it are now apparently mutable as well.

Quote:Jennifer Lee has evidently done a lot of fieldwork with Korean business owners in minority communities in New York and Philadelphia. She seems to think that violence and mutual blame is not a serious problem between Koreans and Blacks in the U.S. She also does not want Asians to start reflexively targeting Blacks because some may be among the perpetrators. 

There's pretty much zero danger of the latter happening.  I can't tell you how many criminals I've dealt with who stated they target Asians because they are "weaker" and "less likely to fight back".  Maybe Ms. Lee missed all of those guys in her studies?

Quote:Finally, the term she uses is "white national populism," not "white supremacy," though the latter may be driving some or much of the former, she identifies the aforesaid populism as likely a greater danger to Asian-American safety.

Of course she does, because apparently white supremacy is responsible for everything bad throughout human history.  You'll do please forgive me for not buying into her glomming on the current trend.  

Quote:Is there a reason to suppose she is wrong suggest that Koreans and Blacks generally get along and that the more general sources of xenophobia pose the greater danger?

Only if you suppose that blacks are less susceptible to said xenophobia than other ethnicities.  Also, what does that mean "generally get along"?  Most human beings "generally get along".  It's a very small percentage of people who engage in the kind of behavior in OP.  Hence my surprise that we're provided with so little data about it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-16-2021, 07:27 PM