Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Will We See Any Cuts Before FA Opens?
What in the hell is going on? We've yet to cut a single player. (I refuse to count BJ Finney, who was an add-on to trade to make financials work, and carried zero in dead cap space for 2021)

I'm sorry, I just don't understand the approach. I know people will hit me with "why would you cut someone without their replacement" but teams cut guys all the time without a replacement inked.

You take the savings and make a plan of who to target and how to allocate the money. You don't have to have a specific replacement for each and every guy to know that some of these players aren't worth anywhere near their current cap hit.

Geno Atkins (9.6 mil), Gio Bernard (4.1 mil), Bobby Hart (5.8 mil), CJ Uzomah (5.2 mil), Tre Hopkins (4.3 mil), XSF (2.6 mil). Billy Price (2 mil), Josh Tupou (2.1 mil) .... There's 35 million in potential 2021 cap savings right there.

I'm not saying every single one of these guys should be cut, but I'm really curious as to why we can't identify at least a couple of them as people that have no place here in 2021. How hard is it to come to conclusion, that no matter what the market it is, Gio Bernard's 4 million dollars can be better spent elsewhere?

When you couple the lack of cuts with Hobson playing his usual games (we're spent the majority of the money) it really makes you wonder if the majority, if not all of these guys will back.

I'll never understand why this team won't embrace a rebuild. And remember a rebuild doesn't necessairly mean you're doomed to fail. It's just means you "rebuild" or overhaul your roster.

Geno Atkins should have been gone two years ago (at the trade deadline when we were 0-8 in 2019). So should have Dalton and Dunlap. So should have AJ if it could have worked. We ended up getting nothing for Andy, a 7th round pick for Dunlap and nothing for Atkins. You would think we would have learned our lesson. (You can't hold on to aging and expensive players if you're team is in the middle of a rebuild)

But we didn't learn our lesson. We then tagged AJ the very next offseason, making him the 2nd highest paid receiver in the league. How'd that work out? Yet we still sit here with Geno Atkins, all of this time, and all of these mistakes later. Why? Why are people actually on board with keeping him, even if he restructures?

We haven't won with any of the above guys. In fact, we've been terrible for quite some time. None of the above players are above average, and most aren't even average. What exactly is the plan here? Keep the whole gang together and run it back again?

Just remember when you see the bulk of these guys back what the savings could have been. Go ahead and play with the math on some of them, and ask yourself if we could have found a better use of these dollars.

I'll end my rant here, but this it total bullshit.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will We See Any Cuts Before FA Opens? - Wes Mantooth - 03-17-2021, 01:32 PM