Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Will We See Any Cuts Before FA Opens?
(03-17-2021, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 35 million in savings and 8 holes to fill.

Many fans believe that the Bengals can jut go out and pick and choose whatever free agent they want to sign.  but just because some player signs with another team at a certain price that does not mean the Bengals could have gotten him.

BY the time you fill the 8 holes created by these players you are not going to have as much savings as you think.  Geno is the only one where you potentially have big savings.  Bobby Hart was the 40th ranked OT by PFF and will be the 32nd highest paid OT.  So you are not guaranteed to get a much better player cheaper.  You might save a million each on Gio and CJ, but the guys you sign for cheaper are not going to upgrade the roster very much.  The others are already at close to market value.

So why take the risk of cutting that many players while not even knowing for sure that you can get better players at a lower price.  What if we cut Trae and no other starting OC wants to sign here for less?

Geno Atkins - Gio Bernard - Bobby Hart - CJ Uzomah - Tre Hopkins - XSF - Billy Price - Josh Tupou

I know you like to play the role of resident Hobson on here, but with the way these guys have played, are they really producing a hole, Fred? They are literally bodies. Roster spots. Bottom tier players.

Geno might rebound some (he can only go up from 1 tackle). Bernard brings blocking and positive locker room presence. You could argue both would produce a minor hole...I guess. Those other guys could literally be replaced by mid/late round rookies and we wouldn't miss them.

I'm sure we could win 4 games without those guys. We might stumble on some diamond-in-the-rough rookie that actually upgrades those guys. They aren't good players. Frankly, they're bad players.

You could save a few million by cutting some of these guys, so why keep them when they are bottom tier?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will We See Any Cuts Before FA Opens? - Shake n Blake - 03-17-2021, 02:44 PM