Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans
(03-18-2021, 01:43 AM)hollodero Wrote: This somehow appears to be a racial stereotype too. Typical repressed religious white man who can't get laid and such.

Wouldn't sound too good if white were replaced with some other race now, would it.

Not that I want to jump the reverse racism train, but I feel this is exactly the kind of generalization one is usually told to avoid.

Hollo, The "replacement test" can be a useful exploratory tool for social analysis.

E.g., how would it sound if we replaced "Black History Month" with "White History Month"? 

My only question about replacing "white" with "black" or "Asian" in your example would be--does it usefully describe the behavior of the demographic group in question?  It wouldn't "sound good" if there are no, or a statistically irrelevant number, of repressed religious black men who can't get laid and so kill women. That would raise some interesting exploratory questions--like how many Black men identify as "incels"? 

Your replacement would "sound good" to me, if such a category of persons becomes visible in crime statistics. I would leave off the term "typical" though--at least for a while.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans - Dill - 03-18-2021, 11:30 AM