Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans
(03-18-2021, 11:23 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That' a lot of words to defend your engaging in bigoted stereotypes.  As I've said, repeatedly, in this forum you can't fight racism with more racism and expect a good result.  You felt comfortable with engaging in bigoted tropes because today's atmosphere largely allows it.  That you felt the need to defend your use of bigoted tropes just shows how deeply this is engrained in you.  I've often found that the people who are quickest to hurl accusations of racism are harboring a lot of racist thoughts and beliefs as themselves.  Projection through accusation.

"Tropes" aren't bigoted or stereotypes or projection just because you say they are.  
"You can't fight racism with more racism" here assumes social analyses which take race into account are just "reverse racism." 
As I said above, people fighting actual racism then become the "real racists" in an effort to block and obfuscate real analysis.  

Rather than illustrating my points with quickly hurled accusations, why not try refuting them? Labeling alone won't do that.

It would be very difficult to discuss the history of slavery in the ante-bellum U.S., or the segregation which followed it, without reference to the color of either the dominating or dominated groups. Even though some Blacks owned slaves, few would call it "bigoted" to identify the dominant group as "White," and exerting power on the basis of race, making both the slavery and the segregation acts of "white supremacy."  

Similarly, current analyses of racial imbalances which rest on the social geography and legal infrastructure constructed during the era of segregation would be very difficult--impossible really--without correctly identifying dominating and dominated.  If the claim is that "no such domination occurs" anymore, then that claim should be open to empirical analysis and refutation.  It is not, in itself, some kind "reverse bigotry" to pursue such analyses, recognizing that race continues affect human interactions not only at the individual, but also the group level. 

You went off on Jane Hu's and Lee and Huang's terms. If you are not one of those "quickest to hurl accusations" who is himself "harboring a lot of racist thoughts," then explain why their terms are "accusations" rather than descriptions. They don't seem "quickly hurled" to me. The authors take the time to explain what themselves.  That is the difference between those who "project accusation" and those who engage in responsible analysis, making time to define terms when asked and to document claims. It can involve a lot of words, though quickly hurled accusations do not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans - Dill - 03-18-2021, 02:01 PM