Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans
(03-19-2021, 10:13 AM)hollodero Wrote: It is tough to answer into all that, really.

Well, I'm not made out to be the greatest defender of religion of any kind, but this seems to be a bit narrow.
I don't think Christianity is automatically to blame here. People can be sexually repressed for lots of reasons. One of them is being repressed by religion, another one is the inability to appear attractive, and there are way more.
It is a tough call to make such an incident about a systemic issue with one specific background, especially when the actual motivation is not clear yet.

The suspect, who admitted he did it, said he was a Christian who was trying to eliminate the temptation.  He was a white male.

Me adding "another" isn't false.  Me repeating what we know isn't blaming.  I took what we know about him and others who have doen the same plus my own experience with the church and said maybe that's all it is rather than a racist attack on Asians.

(03-19-2021, 10:13 AM)hollodero Wrote: Just my impression. You tried to imply that police treated the suspect differently because he was white. You said they downplay the deed. You seemed to mock the claim that it's too early to tell if it's a racially motivated crime. It seemed a bit much.

Not that I want to defend everything. Saying he had a bad day was worthy of critizism.

Again he was white, they said "he had a bad day".  If there is an example of any officer holding a press conference to say that about a suspect of any color I'd like to see it.

I understand the desire for the police and public officials to "get out in front of it" and keep the Asian community from panicking since there has been a rise in attacks on them.  But this was handled in such a ham-fisted way...and when it turns out the spokesperson was pushing Corona Virus "from Chy-na" shirts just adds to the lack of awareness of all those involved.

I posted my opinion based on what I observed and have seen in the past.  Might be right, might be wrong.  But criticism was warranted, as you say.

(03-19-2021, 10:13 AM)hollodero Wrote: Of course they are. Many stereotypes are also a thing. Almost all of them, probably. I would even go as far as to claim that asians can't drive didn't exactly fall out of the air. You'd still don't want to judge based on things that are a thing.

Jumping to conclusions is also a thing, especially to convenient ones.

Personally I jumped at nothing.  I cited what was said and added my own experience when asked about it.

If a black woman says she killed an Asian priest because she thought he was tempting her to have sex I'd still comment with that information with the caveat that I'm not a black woman.  And I don't know of a lot of them who claim sexual addiction as a reason for the crime.

I also don't know many black women who had a police spokesperson come out and say "she had a bad day so that's what she did" after admitting to murder.

Nonetheless I stated the facts as we know them and expanded...that's all.  In the end the murderer is responsible for his own actions but that doesn't take away from the past he probably had based on what he said.  As I originally said it doesn't take a lot to push a "loon" over the edge.

So I'm going to agree to disagree that I said anything racist when I spoke on something that is true and very specific to the person in the story.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans - GMDino - 03-19-2021, 10:59 AM