Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans
(03-19-2021, 10:13 AM)hollodero Wrote: Are white guys killing lots of Asian women in massage parlors typical, as in visible in crime statistics? I mean, maybe there's an answer to that, but imho the bar for any such statistic being able to serve as an useful description has to be quite high.

As for incels, I don't know that really. This will become an issue across all races and I would shy away from tieing it to the white one. The 'incel' term/group specifically, I don't really know the definition or what their underlying maybe racially motivated beliefs are. As far as I can tell, the unifying thing is misogyny. Btw. isn't it a bit weird that the victim's race gets more attention than their gender.

I'm not aware of white guys killing Asian women in massage parlors as statistically salient. 

White guys killing women who "tempt" or frustrate them is though. The 1989 École Polytechnique massacre in Montreal, in which 15 women were killed by an avowed anti-feminist, is an example. Incel Elliot Rodgers may also count
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/02/us/elliot-rodger-killings-in-california-followed-years-of-withdrawal.html

And he was a role model for incel Alec Minassian.https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2021/03/03/incel-alek-minassian-found-guilty-van-attack-killed-10/6906716002/

I'm not sure the incel phenomenon is an issue for all ethnicities at the moment, though it may become so. Things like male coercive control over women, for example, may indeed be spread across all "races," but also be spread more thickly in some places because of culture, not nature (e.g., think of "honor killings in Africa and the ME").  Same for the incel phenomenon. Same for the desire to punish women for putting impure thoughts in one's head. That usually requires some special binding of sex and shame learned from religious or cultural teachings. 

I'm definitely NOT suggesting the incel phenomenon is racially motivated. So far as I can tell, it's men on the internet, generally race unknown, adopting toxic models of masculinity in a consumer culture marked by increasing female equality. And the violent incel incidents mentioned above may not be instances of religion-inspired anger at Eve temptresses who must be stopped/punished, which could have motivated the Atlanta killings. (One wonders if all the Asian women killed were people the shooter had a personal beef with, or were "symbols" of the problem as he defined it.) 

My point to you was that all "stereotypes" don't originate the same way. E.g., until we have 3-4 Black incels killing women in these very public ways because the women make them feel diminished, there is not going to be a black or generic "stereotype" of this type of killer. 

Were you arguing that it would be somehow unjust to assume Blacks or Latinos or Asians couldn't be incel too, or killers who believed they were the real victim of the women they killed?  Crimes involving race now always raise the issue of how people are to be categorized/discussed.  Most people are inexperienced in such matters, and have trouble using demographic terms with precision. Some hoover around such discussions awaiting the chance to pounce on "racist" language. That is one of the drivers of white grievance and charges of reverse racism--"they" are actually being racist against whites! It may also drive an over reaction which inhibits analysis, since we do live in a society in which people of different ethnicities/racists are differently empowered. Recognition of that should not be cast as inherently "racist," especially in an effort to prevent such analyses from going forward. (You weren't doing that. I am just expanding a point here.) 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans - Dill - 03-19-2021, 12:38 PM