Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans
(03-20-2021, 09:21 AM)hollodero Wrote: I think it has to do with hate, and I think that has not just as much to do with Christian culture, or white Christian culture. "Incel", I don't kow about them. I would not put every lonely man into this group, and I would not blame this group for a man killing 8 people.

But I am not intending on doing social analysis now. I'm not Asian, I don't run the numbers on that. I just always wondered how these things work without it anyway, when which assumption is ok and when it is not.
If there's a vehicle driving in a crowd, we shall never jump to the conclusion it was an islamic terror attack. Although it always is. The one time it was not, facebook was full of people calling anyone who dared to assume it was should be ashamed to the bone. How could you jump the gun like that. Bad bad people.
There's a famous turkish soccer player who campaigned for Erdogan, that autocrat. But quite some people claimed he is not to blame, the western failure in integrating people is. Bad western people, look what you made this broken dude do. Sure.
On the same hand, I can say about Germans whatever I want. Or Americans for that matter. They can't find themselves on the map, right, yeah ha, so uneducated, no one has a problem with that here. And they're fat and stupid and overly nationalistic and whatnot. You can't say these things about Turkish people. It would be "dangerous right wing talk".

If a black person is found dead, one should not assume he was killed by another black person. Though that most often is the case. (You still shouldn't, I agree with that.)
But for some reason, you can always assume a white guy is racist. Not defending that killer's honor, assume at will. But how so many politicians and media people just declare this a racist deed is astonishing. And apparently racism is more of a thing as misogyny right now, so it's not about inherent sexism, but inherent racism. Though 6 - or all, that would not hinder the bigger point - victims were women and the killer actually talked about women.

You also always can blame Christianity for all kinds of bad things and bad deeds. With Islam, you need to be more careful already. Islamophobia is something people are quick to assume.
Can say all kinds of shit about men. Have to be careful not to stereotype women.

I always wondered how that is. So I figured it out, of course. It's, well duh, about power and influence. The more power and influence a certain demographic has or is thought to have, the more you are allowed to assume or talk in unflattering stereotypes and call it social analysis or whatever. That seems to be the code.
I often feel there's an inherent disingenuity factored into many debates because of that, but that feeling seldomly is shared.

Sorry for not answering in a more thoughtful way. I don't have the time to smarten it up.

You literally could not have stated this better.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-20-2021, 12:27 PM