Poll: Both Sewell and Chase are Available in Rd 5, Who Do You Pick?
Sewell
Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason
(03-20-2021, 09:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Can be Pitts be an option?  Because that's my choice, and here's why...

As good of a prospect Sewell is projected to be, he's only 20 years old, and he hasn't played in a year.  He also only started one full season in college.  One.  (He missed half of his Freshman year)

I think it's a bit naive to think that he's going to be able to come in immediately and be a great OL.  A very young kid, with limited college experience, who played in the weakest of the Power 5 conferences, who now has a year of rust, and who plays a position that generally takes some time to adjust to at the Pro Level... I think the best case scenario for him year 1 is to be around average.  There's a good chance he struggles a bit.

Look at Jonah Williams.  He played 3 years in college (vs. 2), started 40 games (vs. 20), played in the toughest conference in college football where he went against tons of NFL talent, and he had a full year in the NFL of film, study, training and workouts before he finally started.  And guess what?  He was pretty average out of the gate.

I know Sewell projects to be better, but again I think it may naive to think he's going to immediately be this huge upgrade to OL.  I realize there's a long-term factor I've thus ignored, but I'm just talking about immediate help.

Chase... Would love to have him.  But we've already got two decent receivers and Higgins (and Chad Johnson, and so many other NFL WR's) prove you can get studs in the 2nd and on.  Plus he presents the problem of who the hell you're going to choose to pay when his, Higgins and Boyd's contract all come up in the next few years.  (You probably won't be able to keep them all)

Which brings me to Pitts... Pitts is a once in a decade Tight End talent.  He's not simply the best tight end in this draft, he's one of the most athletic tight ends to ever enter.  He essentially a WR in a Tight End's body.  He can line out wide, he's a matchup nightmare, and he's extremely versatile.

Tight End is a position that, despite trying to hit on with Gresham and Eifert, we've never really had an elite one (Save one season for Eifert where he still missed time.  We've never had a stud there that we can count on.  And with the way the game has been going these last 15 years, I think it's something we've been sorely lacking.

So for all of these reason I go with Pitts.  Skill players can transition a bit easier than OL, and he's equally as freakish to Tight Ends as Sewell is OL, maybe even moreso.  He'd be a great target in the Red Zone and would provide this offense such a unique weapon that we could build off of for the next 5 years.

I'd stick with Williams and Reiff at the Tackles for this year, and try to address the position against next season.  Or I hope that we could maybe find a diamond in the rough OT in the middle rounds this year.  If not, hit FA next year or use a higher pick to fill the spot Reiff leaves.  As far as Guard, sign two cheaper vets this season (Spain and Turner??), and invest a 2nd or 3rd round pick in another.

Just my 2 cents... as always, sorry if this is too long or was boring.

How's his blocking? Ninja
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - Sled21 - 03-20-2021, 09:37 PM
RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - IcoHolic - 03-23-2021, 11:15 PM