Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Dey Indeed - Reiff less than 5 million cap hit in 2021
Salaries for players has always seemed bizarre to me. On what planet other than ours does a guy who has no other obvious value to society other than playing football get paid millions despite the fact that a huge part of our society could give a flying fart about the sports in the first place? I mean, fire fighters rush into burning buildings, police often run to the sound of gunfire to protect us and the list can go on and on of people whose jobs are far more essential to our societies than football players and yet they're treated like royalty and our very nation might collapse if they're not paid gazillions..
On the other hand.. Would YOU pay say...$1000 for a ticket to go see Mike Brown or any other team owner do, well, anything? Probably not so it IS the players themselves we pay to watch. The thing is it's a microcosm of a very small segment of society none of us are really privy to other than just watching. If you or I even so much as step foot on a football field during a game we might be immediately arrested and treated like some sort of deviant and maybe treated worse than a rapist or even murderer.. 
I have no problem paying these guys a decent wage, but their minimum wage is blown so far out of proportion to the rest of ours it's ludicrous. We're debating a $15 minimum and having a tough time getting it if we ever do while athletes are often paid so much they can play a single year and never work again the rest of their lives and support their entire families with it including aunts, uncles and third cousins..and all their friends..
Our minimum wage on the other hand can't even buy most of us dinner at a nice restaurant.. If I got a player minimum for a single year I'd feel like I'd died and went to money heaven..I'm looking at a stimulus check of a mere $1400 thinking, "HOLY SH*T! It's the jackpot!" They're looking at millions thinking, "Not enough.." 
Something ain't white in the rice here folks.. To make matters more weird is many of us act AS IF the money they are spending is coming directly from our own pockets.. Spend too much for player X and my kids might starve.. Not pay enough for player Y and they're just being cheap.. Damned if we do and damned if we don't..  The thing is..Player X might have the best season in decades while player Y might get injured and never play again.. 
 I suppose you can say that I just don't get the big picture in the grand scheme of things and for that I'll be forever grateful.. Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Dey Indeed - Reiff less than 5 million cap hit in 2021 - grampahol - 03-23-2021, 10:17 AM