Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is The College System Broken?
I was thinking about it and, while higher education is needed for a lot of jobs, is the college system broken and robbing people of their money?

High school is supposed to give you basic knowledge of things like history, math, and English to prepare you for the basics of life, but then college is supposed to prepare you to make a living, and how many classes do they force you to take that have no relevance to your job or even real life circumstances?

I switched majors (ended up with a minor in my first major since I only needed a few more credits for a minor in accounting) and also went to a Catholic University, so a lot of my credits did matter for my major, minor, and for the requirements to graduate, but I would have had to taken so many pointless classes to graduate if there weren't those requirements and I hadn't switched majors.

I had to take an art class in college. Why? How does that prepare me for life or my job? if I was an art major, it would be different, but I wasn't.

I had to take World Civ classes to satisfy my history credits, which may have been more in depth than high school history, but was it really necessary for my general college requirements? I took a class on Medieval Europe to satisfy the rest of my history credits, which how necessary was that? How is that improving my life going forward?

I had to take two foreign language credits and that didn't teach me much more than the two foreign language I needed to graduate high school.

I had to take Introduction To Theatre, which was basically studying plays and making a play of our own, so how necessary was that?

It is good to have a basic understanding of things like accounting and economics just because it might have some real world applications, but people spend a lot of money to take classes that are pointless in real life.

Is the college system broken? Is it a scam?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Is The College System Broken? - BFritz21 - 03-23-2021, 04:01 PM