Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois Becomes First State to Commit to Eliminating Cash Bail
Not a thread necromancer, this is very germane to the thread topic.

https://cwbchicago.com/2021/03/senator-who-sponsored-cash-bail-ban-is-outraged-driver-who-threatened-him-with-gun-only-had-to-post-1500-to-get-out-of-jail.html

An Illinois state senator who sponsored recently-signed legislation that will eliminate cash bail in the state by 2023 is outraged that a man who allegedly flashed a gun at him while driving only had to post $1,500 to get out of jail.

“By him being released on bail, he’s free to do this again,” Sen. Elgie Sims of Chicago told the State-Journal Register.

Yet just last month Sims tweeted, “money bond doesn’t guarantee public safety or someone’s appearance in court, it supports a system where freedom is based on the size of someone’s bank account. We’ve tried the failed tough on crime polices [sic] of the past.”

Looks like someone doesn't like it when their ideology actually affects them personally. I'm sure some of you will point to this sentence as proof that he is right.

Sims called this week’s incident a “perfect example of how cash bail doesn’t make people more safe.”

Of course, under his legislation the man would have been freed without doing anything. For those that doubt this, $15k in bail is a very low amount, there is literally zero chance the alleged assailant in this case would have been remanded under the very law this guy sponsored. While I certainly don't want anyone to be the victim of a crime I can't help but admit a small amount of schadenfreude when people like this get bit on the ass by their own bullshit.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Illinois Becomes First State to Commit to Eliminating Cash Bail - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-24-2021, 07:44 PM