Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that will help the GOP before 2022 elections.
(03-24-2021, 07:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Good thing you're understanding anything isn't part of the Constitution.  It's a semi-automatic rifle, they've been in existence for lose to 100 years.  A guy could use an M1 Garand and easily do just as much damage, if not more, due to the power of the 30.06 round.

Well, the Garand is just a WWII-era assault rifle, anyway. I call my Winchester '94 an assault rifle because that's what it was designed for, cavalry assaults. Ninja

(03-24-2021, 07:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Background checks are already a thing.  What loopholes are you talking about?  Also, waiting periods aren't too onerous, I'd have zero issue with them on there own.

No, it won't.  Nothing you're proposing would have any discernable effect on gun violence, an "assault weapons" ban has already been empirically proven to do nothing.  Honestly the only thing you're proposing that would is a waiting period, which is why, on their own, I don't have a lot of issues with them.

Background checks are a thing, but there are lots of places (like Virginia) where private-party transfers occur and do not require an FFL or any sort of background check to be performed. No check, no record, completely under the table. Those are the transfers that some groups are trying to make sure are eliminated by requiring background checks for all transfers.

As for the waiting period, when I was doing research on gun control policies for a memo I did a bit of a meta analysis in which different methods were compared from different studies and what not. The most effective, in fact the only conclusively effective policy in reducing firearm deaths was a waiting period. It had a very significant correlation to a reduction in suicides and lesser so with homicides. It was the only policy that I recommended implementation of in addition to funding research and investigating another policy option (permit-to-purchase, which has some evidence for but lacked as much of a solid evidentiary background).
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that will help the GOP before 2022 elections. - Belsnickel - 03-24-2021, 07:52 PM