Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that will help the GOP before 2022 elections.
(03-24-2021, 07:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, the Garand is just a WWII-era assault rifle, anyway. I call my Winchester '94 an assault rifle because that's what it was designed for, cavalry assaults. Ninja

Background checks are a thing, but there are lots of places (like Virginia) where private-party transfers occur and do not require an FFL or any sort of background check to be performed. No check, no record, completely under the table. Those are the transfers that some groups are trying to make sure are eliminated by requiring background checks for all transfers.

As for the waiting period, when I was doing research on gun control policies for a memo I did a bit of a meta analysis in which different methods were compared from different studies and what not. The most effective, in fact the only conclusively effective policy in reducing firearm deaths was a waiting period. It had a very significant correlation to a reduction in suicides and lesser so with homicides. It was the only policy that I recommended implementation of in addition to funding research and investigating another policy option (permit-to-purchase, which has some evidence for but lacked as much of a solid evidentiary background).

Well, good thing I didn't say anything about "Assault rifles" then?

Anywho the problem is even if there is evidence that something might work, even a little bit, there will be resistance from the "slippery slope" folks.  It doesn't matter how popular the change would be with the public as long as there is a vocal group fighting it and money pouring into politicians to keep them from enacting it.

To that latter I've heard "we need to address the problem" a dozen times since the last shooting but they never say what the problem is or how they would address such a thing.  Other than "keep bad guys out/build a wall".  I did see that tweeted today.

Edit to add: That's why these conversations just go round and round. For too many it is an all or nothing approach, on both ends. "Common sense" changes are rejected as either not enough or opening the door to too much. It is also why I find it funny/sad that the Onion shares the same story they have for years.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that will help the GOP before 2022 elections. - GMDino - 03-24-2021, 08:33 PM