Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(03-26-2021, 08:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or maybe Joe realizes the entire future of the OL does not hinge on a single draft pick...

I swear, this OL at 5 or bust mentality has gotten out of hand here. There will be plenty of good players available on day 2.

The idea that a singular O lineman makes this major difference is kind of funny. What's even funnier is Burrow got hurt on a hit from a guard position that this pick wouldn't even address. In reality, the idea that Burrow's career is in jeopardy with the line is an overblown concept that has caught steam and is now running away. The line as it's currently constructed, minus Reiff, was solid at keeping out QB upright at the end of the season. We were shuffling in random guards all year because of injury but XSF and Spain if needed will be fine and Reiff with be an improvement.

Are they elite? No, but you don't need an elite line to find success you need a serviceable line. Now people will confuse me saying that with some sort of belief we don't need line help, of course we do. The reality is you can always make your line better and that improvement will reap benefits, however, that's not what I am arguing. People are screaming for O line because they think without it Burrow is done for and that just isn't reality. If we had to roll with the line right now we would be okay, but we need to add guys who can help into the future and that's why I don't think the team takes OL at 5 but rather gets a weapon or trades back for more help. As bad as people think the O line is, we are an injury to Higgins or Boyd away from being the Eagles last year where your guys can't uncover forcing your QB to hold the ball...and take more hits.

The other thing people don't talk about enough is that Burrow caused a large portion of the hits he took last year on his own. He held the ball too long at times and he misidentified pressure at others and that should improve with another year in the league. Burrow can help himself out by better identifying potential pressure and knowing when to throw a ball away.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Au165 - 03-26-2021, 08:41 AM