Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
I think Joe Burrow is smart and humble enough to know not to butt his way into roster construction. Not after only 10 starts, 2 wins, and 13 TD's. I just can't envision a scenario that he's going to the front office and pushing for certain moves. That's not to say he won't in the future, I just don't think it's currently happening.

So with that said, I think what we're hearing is one of two things: 1.) It's total bs, and it's just a story the media is running with. 2.) The Bengals themselves are introducing this story to get support behind this move.

#2 wouldn't shock me. It would be like when they had a beat reporter ask Joe Burrow "What do you think about playing with AJ Green" and of course he answers something like "I'd love it, he's a great player". Then from then on out every Bengals writer writes "Joe Burrow wants AJ Green back".

Of course, Burrow didn't really have a lot of options on how to answer that question. He just gave the normal playerspeak complimentary answer. But that didn't stop the narrative that bringing AJ Geen back was done somehow to appease Burrow.

Same goes with Carson Palmer and TO. TJ leaves, in comes Coles. Coles sucks, and he leaves. We sign Antonio Bryant who is basically handicapped and in a wheelchair and he can't play. We're now deep into the offseason (July) and we have no number #2 receiver. There's no one really available, save a few names. Carson gets asked about whether he wants TO and he says something like "yeah, go get that guy". (Note: This was after the Bengals were already linked to him)

Did Palmer want TO to replace TJ? Did he want TO to begin free agency? Or did he want TO deep into summer when we had no WR2 and he was the only option available, and we were already rumored to be talking with him? The answer really doesn't matter because the narrative has been that Carson Palmer got the things he asked for, and that TO is a perfect example even though he's really not.

So yeah, either the story is bs or the Bengals are going with the "Joe Burrow wanted this, and we want to make him happy" spin.

Like I said, I don't buy for a second Burrow is pushing for anything. He may chime in when asked for opinion, but I just think the kid is too smart to think he needs to planning the draft approach.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Wes Mantooth - 03-26-2021, 12:37 PM