Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Performance Improvement Index - 2021
(03-27-2021, 10:43 AM)bengaloo Wrote: So if a WR runs a route and cuts inside, but the QB throws outside, which one was at fault? Did the WR run the wrong route or the QB throw to the wrong spot? How would you know that without having the playbook and knowing what play was called? You cant, really, without the playbook and knowing the call that team made on the field. So who does PFF give the worse grade to, the QB or the WR? Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the PFF stuff, but I enjoy it knowing that its not entirely accurate all the time. Sometimes they probably nail it, other times they probably get it wrong. 

Direct quote from Bill B when talking about PFF
“In terms of analytics, you get a lot of, ‘This guy should have him. That guy should have him.’ I know from our team, there are times when we don’t know exactly what went wrong until we sort out the play,” Belichick said on WEEI. “So it’s impossible someone else could have known. Sometimes what it looks like is not what it is.” And the blame game can change the way players finish plays, which can impact how a player is judged on that play. If a pass catcher gets behind the defense, a cornerback might pull off because they don’t want it to look like it’s their blown assignment.“We get it wrong, too. We’re watching another team on film, and we’ve seen all their plays and we’re still not even sure who was supposed to do what,” Belichick said.

But what really opened my eyes to PFF is when they gave Billy Price an 18.8 pass blocking grade against the Titans, which was his only start at C and the only time he played C 100% of the snaps. Burrow didnt get sacked that day for the first time all season, and Price got an 18 pff pass block grade? Pfffffft. That is when I began to realize how far off PFF can be. You can watch that entire game online right now. I have it DVR'd. Price played a very good game on all fronts outside of one bad snap early in the game. Watch the game and tell me how he gets a pass block grade that low. 

PFF does exactly what Belichick does every week.

Chris Collinsworth hired former players and coaches to review tape and grade players. I don't always like or agree with the grades but I respect them nonetheless because they have the experience.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: PFF Performance Improvement Index - 2021 - Synric - 03-27-2021, 06:12 PM