Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(03-28-2021, 02:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m all for the idea of drafting Chase, but do have a question. Down the road, who do you keep? You can’t afford to pay all 3 of Boyd, Higgins and Chase... do we let Boyd got at some point? I think that is the answer, but it’s tough to say cuz I love the guy.

(03-28-2021, 02:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, Boyd is due to turn 27 in November of this year.

So by the time a player like Chase's rookie deal expires (after year 5 unless we don't pick up hsi 5th year option), Boyd would be 32 years old.  That's getting pretty up there in age for a WR.

This is what I was going to say, Wes. Boyd will be heading into his age 30 season when his contract is up. Extending all 3 isn't really an issue at that point. I like Boyd but I don't think he's going to be a player who ages gracefully. Guys who average 10-11 yards per catch I don't think generally play well into their mid-30s because you can't afford to lose much off of 10-11. Welker hit a wall at age 32.

Maybe if they draft Chase, they sign Boyd to a 2 year extension to cover his age 30 and 31 seasons? Either way, I don't think it's a real issue because Boyd will be basically done by the time the rookie contract is up for Chase.

- - - - -
(Also worth noting we're talking about 4-5 years from now. Worry about winning now. Cap space talk about 4-5 years from now is a bit silly.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - TheLeonardLeap - 03-28-2021, 06:51 PM