Poll: Both Sewell and Chase are Available in Rd 5, Who Do You Pick?
Sewell
Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason
Why I think it makes sense to go OL with the first pick?

I have put a lot of thoughts into this and this is what I have came up with.

1)  Scheme fit:
If the Bengals take Pitts or Chase at 5, they almost have to get an OT with the next pick.  They are switching to an outside zone blocking scheme and not just any OL makes sense for that. Reiff was targeted in free agency for that reason. I cannot see the Bengals switching to this scheme and then taking just anyone in round 2 that can potentially play OT in the NFL. They would almost certainly have to target Mayfield, Cosmi, Radunz or Little (Little would be super risky). Tackles like Leatherwood or Eichenburg that could slip into round 2 are more power type downhill blockers and I don't see the Bengals drafting them.

2) Potential Draft Capitol Loss:
As far as the draft goes, if the Bengals want to acquire some extra picks, it currently makes more sense in the second round than the first. It would be foolish for Cincinnati to trade down from 5 without the draft playing out certain ways.  

With all this said, I feel like drafting Chase could ultimately cost them draft capitol by having to move up to get their guy with the 2nd pick. I haven't seen this mentioned but drafting Chase strongly increases the probability that they would likely have to trade up to get the one that they want that would fit their scheme. Cincinnati has watched targets like Ragnow and Risner get snagged away from them. I could see the Bengals having to trade up with a team like the Saints that need draft capitol to get the OL they are targeting. Whereas, drafting Sewell or Slater with the first pick allows the Bengals a probable opportunity to trade down in round 2. I can see a couple of teams in round 1 that could go elsewhere with their first pick hoping to grab a T in round two and when a bunch have flown of the board decide to try to move up in the draft. Or for a particular, pass rusher. At least at this point, Cincinnati would have the option to trade down or stick and make their selection but they certainly would not have to trade up.

So my hypothesis is:
         Scenario 1: Chase at 5 and when the Saints are on the clock. the tackles left are Cosmi. Leatherwood, Eichenburg and Radunz. The Bengals don't like Leatherwood or Eichenburg due to scheme fit. Do the Bengals sit and hope that 1 of their 2 guys make it there if they even like both or trade for pick 28 with picks 37 and 69 to draft to get their guy basically decimating their draft capitol.
         Scenario 2: Sewell at 5 and Cincinnati trades back into the middle or late middle of the second round and adds an extra 3rd round pick.

Mock draft with Chase:
#5 Chase WR
#28 Cosmi OT
#111 Green OG

Mock draft with Sewell
#5 Sewell
Bengals trade pick 37 to Titans for #53 and #85
#53 WR or DE
#69 WR or DE
#85 DT
#111 G/C
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - IcoHolic - 03-23-2021, 11:15 PM
RE: Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason - SErebel11 - 03-29-2021, 01:49 AM