Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-03-2021, 12:05 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 1.) Keep in mind, there is one thing you can bet on (in NFL scouting) and win every time – whatever WR prospect the NFL deems as ‘the best’, the first (or second) WR taken in drafts…then that/those wide receiver(s) FOR SURE will NOT be the best NFL WRs from that particular draft within 1-3 years of looking back. 

2.) In 2020, Ruggs-Jeudy went #1-2 off the board and that was a monumental mistake. Those guys aren’t even in the top 5-10 among WR talents from that class. That doesn’t mean they stink…just means they are not ‘the best’ or ‘elite’…or worthy of such high draft picks.

Man, this is one of the dumber things I've ever read.  (Seriously, no offense to you, this is directed to the author of it).  He actually makes some good points later on, but these two things kind of negate everything that follows it.

1.)  FOR SURE?  Uh, did this guy not see the AJ Green and Julio Jones draft?  Those guys weren't the best receivers from their class?

I just checked some other drafts where names stood out to see how this holds up...

Amari Cooper is easily the best receiver taken in the 2015 draft.  Demayrius Thomas and Dez Bryant are the best WR's in the 2010 class.  Calvin Johnson is the best receiver taken from the 2007 class.  Larry Fitzgerald is the best receiver taken from the 2004 class.

Like I said, the guy has some other decent examples, but this statement is just flat out wrong.  There's nothing to show that the first receievers off the board are guaranteed to not be the best player in their class. 

Not to mention, what's he's saying isn't unique to that position.  As much as you can you can point to first receiver off the board often not being the best of his class you can do it with other positions as well.  It's simple odds. 

2.) How in the hell can he already say Ruggs and Jeudy aren't worthy of their picks and won't be elite? 

They're "not even in the top 5-10 among WR talents from that class"?  Is this a joke?  This guy can't be serious, right?

Jerry Jeudy just had 853 yards receiving with Drew Lock and Jeff Driskel as his QB's.  One of his games they actually had to convert a practice squad wide receiver to QB for a game because of Covid cases.

Can anyone find me 5-10 WR's in that class that are definitely better?  (Jefferson, Higgins, Claypool????)

It's only been one year, so it's way too early to call this one.  And there's certainly not 5-10 guys who were better.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Wes Mantooth - 04-03-2021, 11:00 AM