Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-03-2021, 01:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, that term 'generational talent' is getting thrown around so much anymore, by so many people. 

Sewell will most likely be a terrific lineman for many years. Chase will probably be a terrific WR for many years. However, I doubt either will turn out to be 'generational'. 

That term should be reserved for talents like Jim Brown, Anthony Munoz, Jerry Rice, Reggie White, etc. Those guys were generational talents because they played at an insanely high level for a long period of time. Like I said, I expect Sewell and Chase to be outstanding players...but generational talents? Not so much.

Pitts fits this definition much more IMO.

6'6" 250 pound TE/WR that can run a 4.44 forty that runs crisp routes and has great hands...

Calvin Johnsonesque but bigger and faster.

If there is a generational talent in this Draft Kyle Pitts is that guy.

(04-03-2021, 04:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: How about we stop tearing each other (and other players) down for a bit?

The POV of the Sewell crowd IS valid - Sewell is the consensus #1 rated Tackle in this draft and the OL was (for at least part of last season) epically bad.

On the other hand, the POV of the Chase crowd is ALSO valid. Chase is an out and out playmaker. And in our offense it would let us run out a 3 WR (which is our base) set of Higgins, Chase and Boyd. This is pretty radically different than what we usually have which is 1 or 2 sound receivers and then scrubs. This is also the logic with the Pitts advocates; the difference there was until we signed Reiff it would be hard for a TE for us to go out and catch passes.

Sewell, Chase, Pitts....we're going to get a high end prospect no matter who we end up with.

I guess the big factor is what you think the "state of the OL" is right now. To me, we are definitely in a better spot than we were a lot of last season. Reiff is a huge upgrade over Hart. And the actual stats (not PFF synthetic ratings the actual stats) showed that once we had Spain and XSF at the Guard spots the interior line issues largely stopped. Add in that Turner is gone and Pollack is in and the prognosis is better.

So, if to you the line prognosis is sufficiently good then players like Pitts and Chase enter the picture. If not, then it would be either Sewell or (if it were me) trade back with, say, the Pats and still be positioned well to get Vera Tucker.

Well said, anyway we go we can't really mess it up. We are in a great spot and even a greater spot after the Dolphins trade.

Vera-Tucker would also be more than fine with me in a trade back, as would be Slater or Darrisaw.

Don't get why some have to be so pissy round here. We all agree O-line needs upgraded and the Draft is deep at OT and also 
has some good interior Lineman that can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We are in a great spot at the right time to improve
our biggest weaknesses.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-03-2021, 06:02 PM