Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
I know I was touting Kyle Pitts just a couple days ago,  but allow me to temper expectations again.

He wouldn't be the first TE to garner this much hype going into a draft. The others didn't exactly live upto the hype.

His pro day numbers were good for a TE, but weren't the best ever,  even going back 15 years.  I think his wing span is undoubtedly the best,  but speed, bench press,  broad jump,  vertical jump etc, put him even with or below Vernon Davis.  EDIT: I don't have three cone drill numbers for Davis : END EDIT. Was Davis a very good player? Absolutely. Was he a "generational" talent? Not really.  I'm not sure there was ever a year he was considered to be the absolute number one at TE. TOP 5, probably,  but never the best (and if he was, then maybe just for one year).

Having said that,  would I take a player like Davis at 5 and be happy with his career? No doubt.  But what if I have to miss out on a perennial All Pro? I'd think that's another Bengals' luck situation. There's also no guarantee Pitts can live upto Vernon Davis standards,  let alone go above it. Do I think his wingspan advantage can take him there? There's a chance,  but that's about the only athletic advantage he has over Davis.

Again,  the question comes down to which position is critical to Bengals' overall team success? I'm again leaning towards Sewell,  but talk to me again in a couple of days,  and I might argue for drafting Chase or Pitts over him. LOL .

EDIT:
Difference in qb with Burrow over Alex Smith, would definitely help Pitts do better than Davis, but a lot of other things go into it as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - masterpanthera_t - 04-04-2021, 01:34 PM