Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-03-2021, 01:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, that term 'generational talent' is getting thrown around so much anymore, by so many people. 

Sewell will most likely be a terrific lineman for many years. Chase will probably be a terrific WR for many years. However, I doubt either will turn out to be 'generational'. 

That term should be reserved for talents like Jim Brown, Anthony Munoz, Jerry Rice, Reggie White, etc. Those guys were generational talents because they played at an insanely high level for a long period of time. Like I said, I expect Sewell and Chase to be outstanding players...but generational talents? Not so much.

While I certainly agree with the thrust of what you are saying, I want to say this on Sewell. He is more than the run of the mill top OT prospect.

The kid is 20. He sat out last year. The year BEFORE that he won the Outland Trophy. First true sophmore ever to win it. Ever. The season he did so, he was 19 years old. 18 until October. Half the year. If he had not sat out, it is certainly possible (even likely) we'd be looking at a 2-time Outland winner. Which I will remind folks, is given to the best lineman in the country. Offensive OR defensive. The only other 2 time winner? Dave Remington, Nebraska. 

And for those focused on measurables, remember, the kid is 20. Turns 21 in October. He could still be growing. Even if not, he'll still fill out more.

I think those salivating over Chase and/or Pitts is understandable. For my money, Pitts is a generational TE prospect as a pass catcher. Period. And Chase is electric and has a history with Burrow. We need to both improve the OL & get speedy receivers.

But Sewell has accomplished things that true sophmore lineman have never before accomplished. And his is still a baby. Rather than giving Pollack lemons and asking him to make lemonade (which he can do), give him a gem and see what happens.

Am I gonna be frothing at the mouth if we take Chase or Pitts or trade down & pick Slater/Waddle/Smith or even Parsons? No. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 04-04-2021, 02:13 PM