Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
I can totally understand how and why this discussion of who to take at 5 is so divisive. Of the obvious 3 in Sewell, Chase and Pitts all look like slam dunk players. The appeal of re-uniting Chase and Burrow is huge and I can totally understand why many people think it's the best route to take. That said, for me, if we were to look at this objectively, Sewell really should be the only option for a number of reasons.

Good drafting isn't simply a process of looking to build a roster for the up coming season, rather looking forward 2 to 3 seasons and predicting areas of serious weakness due to contractual issues with current players. The Reiff signing was a good one but as others have mentioned is fundamentally a one year deal. So going into 2022 the team will be in the same boat, requiring a solid talent at tackle.

It's more than this however. We are one year removed from Mixon receiving a very healthy contract. You can argue whether it was the right move but the man is undeniably talented. What is also undeniable is that he has not had an opportunity, since being drafted, to maximise his potential due to poor line play. Protecting Burrow also means establishing a reliable run game and drafting Sewell would have a huge impact in this. Whether you start him at T or G, he would offer up a huge talent injection. Stick at LG and pull him all over the place to create havoc.

I think ultimately Sewell represents a high floor high ceiling draft pick. Even if he doesnt meet his huge potential he will start in the league for a decade plus.

What I cant stop thinking about is how, of all the personnel move Tampa made to bring home a superbowl, Tristan Wirfs arguably was the most important after Brady.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - BritishBengal - 04-05-2021, 02:48 AM