Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kemp signs restrictive GA voting bill; Dem lawmaker arrested for protesting
(04-05-2021, 12:37 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I tend to avoid the politics forum because it usually has the terrible people that are far left arguing against the terrible people that are far right. 

Not too many people in the middle who look at both sides as corrupt and agenda pushing....

However, I saw this tweet and then saw it on here and again I look at it and think how incorrect and misleading it is.

When the graph starts is what 10 years after the Civil War, so African American turnout was supposedly higher then the white voters at that point???

I find that unlikely at best, total bullshit to try and prove a point more likely. What the graph actually shows, is that as society has progressed there has been greater and greater voter turn-out for all races.

Now, as to this actual bill. The bill says people with a political party can't hand out water... not you can't have water if you are in line. Means poll workers hand out the water... you know like it should be, not people pushing their views... so, this is a good thing. You get water, for free and don't get pressured to vote for a party. That's a good thing.

You need an ID to vote. Again, this seems like a pretty basic concept... if you don't have an ID at 18, they are free in Georgia. I live there. You can get a State ID... free. So, again, this doesn't seem like a major set back.

I really feel like people just can't wait to be triggered and outraged and trying to act "woke" at a moments notice and in a lot of cases, it's people bitching to be bitching.

I haven't seen where this bill prohibits anyone from voting, unless they don't have an ID. 

Ah...so you have a thought, an opinion...so you just want to pretend that point "can't" be true and then use that as the the starting point for your own spin.

Great.

First, let's look at the graph title which says "registered voters" not people who voted. Then...

https://www.crf-usa.org/black-history-month/race-and-voting-in-the-segregated-south

Quote:In 1870, the 15th Amendment was ratified. It stated that, “The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.”

More than a half-million black men became voters in the South during the 1870s (women did not secure the right to vote in the United States until 1920). For the most part, these new black voters cast their ballots solidly for the Republican Party, the party of the Great Emancipator, Abraham Lincoln.

When Mississippi rejoined the Union in 1870, former slaves made up more than half of that state’s population. During the next decade, Mississippi sent two black U.S. senators to Washington and elected a number of black state officials, including a lieutenant governor. But even though the new black citizens voted freely and in large numbers, whites were still elected to a large majority of state and local offices. This was the pattern in most of the Southern states during Reconstruction.

The Republican-controlled state governments in the South were hardly perfect. Many citizens complained about overtaxation and outright corruption. But these governments brought about significant improvements in the lives of the former slaves. For the first time, black men and women enjoyed freedom of speech and movement, the right of a fair trial, education for their children, and all the other privileges and protections of American citizenship. But all this changed when Reconstruction ended in 1877 and federal troops withdrew from the old Confederacy. 

This link: http://umich.edu/~lawrace/votetour1.htm shows the make up of the population at the time.

So just because you don't believe that is possible doesn't mean it isn't...especially when compared to an actual report on the subject.

And that means your further breakdown of the latest attempt to restrict minority voting starts of from a bad point.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kemp signs restrictive GA voting bill; Dem lawmaker arrested for protesting - GMDino - 04-05-2021, 09:39 AM