Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kemp signs restrictive GA voting bill; Dem lawmaker arrested for protesting
(04-08-2021, 04:35 PM)hollodero Wrote: This is a perfect example on how this political duality is so harmful. There's someone who has a different take on something specific, and you immediately identify that person as a Republican because of said disagreement. And then you throw a bunch of unrelated Republican viewpoints at him. 

You're with me or you have to be one of them. No middle ground. There's no middle ground party, after all? Only us and them.

As to the topic at hand, forcing people to vote seems a bit drastic. If someone rather wouldn't, that is a personal decision and I don't see the value in mandating that person to pick a side. Chances are that this would only even further the trenches and the creation of very simplistic arguments for people that aren't informed and don't care.

This was not a casual conversation by two passersby on the street. We have gone rounds before and he always sides with Republicans or parrots their views. I have very, very rarely gotten a middle of the road vibe from him on anything in the past. If we had never chatted before, the interaction would have been much different.

And sorry, if you've misconstrued my stance. I'm Independent, have been since I registered to vote 35 years ago. I've been battered with "you're either with me or **** you" from the right for the last 25 years(around the time Fox News became mainstream), even more so since Obama was elected so I've somewhat adopted their style of discussion with them more or less, just playing the odds. If you can find proof of Republicans trying to find the middle ground in the last 12-13 years, please point it out to me because I've missed it. I lean left because I fear the right, not because the left appeals to me.

When I was 12 or 13 after an election that had a low voter turnout, after seeing that on the news that my Dad and one of his friends was watching, I youthfully remarked, "they should make you vote when you pick up your check or else you don't get paid, work check or welfare." They laughed and said "Republicans would never go for that. They're trying to limit the voter pool, not expand it." Forty years later and nothing has changed.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kemp signs restrictive GA voting bill; Dem lawmaker arrested for protesting - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 04-08-2021, 05:34 PM