Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-09-2021, 09:32 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Look, philosophically, the O line side of the debate makes sense. In a vaccum, where all things are equal, there's no debating an O lineman at 5.

And, vaccum or not, there's NO QUESTION or debate that the Bengals O line needs another starter... OR 2... for everyone to feel great about it.

HOWEVER....
Diving in deep and analyzing THIS SPECIFIC DRAFT is what switched me from O line to Jamaar Chase with the first pick.

Without a crystal ball, here's the truth on how this really looks...

- The Bengals NEED a #1 outside deep threat to replace 2016 AJ Green. Read that again.... They have needed to fill that spot for 4 seasons. O line or not, the Bengals CANNOT THREATEN DOWN FIELD with this current WR room.

This draft has a deep WR class, but they are not all WR1 guys. Most of them, while very good, are too small for what the Bengals want/need. Other than Marshall, you're looking at a bunch of sub 6' slot guys, or guys well under 200lbs.

Jamaar Chase fits the Bengals PERFECTLY while no one else available in 2, 3, 4 and beyond is really looking good for that WR1 role. Marshall will more than likely NOT be there in the 2nd.

To GUARANTEE you get a supreme talent at the WR1 spot, it's Chase or Pitts in the 1st vs praying at an alter for something to turn out from the later rounds.

As of now, the Bengals WR room looks far worse than the O line room. Since the Bengals run a lot of 4 & 5 wide, right now they would be looking at this: Higgins, Boyd, Thomas, Tate, Morgan .... And that is if none of them get hurt.

^ THAT is not good.

Pitts & Chase are so so so so.... sooooooooo far ahead and better than whatever WRs will be available in rd2 and beyond that it isn't even funny. The Bengals would be getting 50-60% of those guys in rd 2 AT BEST. And, even still, a rd 2/3 WR would probably be a slot guy and the Bengals already have that in Boyd.

This leads me to the O line prospects.....

This O line class is so wildly deep it is amazing. There will be starter grade players at T/G/C available to the Bengals in rds 2 AND 3. It is THAT deep. In contrast to the above, where 50-60% of Pitts or Chase will be there in 2 and beyond, it is projected that a player who is 80% of Sewell will be there in the 2nd.

I cannot ignore the depth of the O line when analyzing who the Bengals should take in the first. I have to look past that to predict the ENTIRE draft as far as what the Bengals choices will be.

Sewell at 5, when compared to what O line talent will be available in rds 2 & 3 looks like an INSANE reach where as Chase or Pitts at 5 look like amazing value when compared to their draftmates.

The OT side of this draft alone is 9.... NINE deep with 1st round talent/starter grade guys... and that's without even touching the true Guards & Centers.

This O line class is so deep, I would be fine if they took Chase followed by the TE from Penn State in the 2nd, and THEN an O lineman in the 3rd. It is THAT deep of a class. BTW, for those thinking only high pick O linemen make it, Joe Thuney was a 3rd rounder. Great O linemen go in the mid rounds all the time, especially in the interior where the Bengals need the most help. Mid round WRs? Ehhhh, not a great track record.

In the 3rd, the C from OK could be there or the C from Alabama. Both can play G just fine, as well. So can Hopkins, who is looking to be back for camp.

Not only that, but cutting Gio has freed up plenty of room to still look at guys cut after June 1st as well as bring in Worford post draft.

Chase or Pitts MAKES SENSE in the first given the makeup of THIS particular draft class.

If you disagree with the above ^, no prob... But I would LOVE to hear your plan on solving the WR1 issue.
If the o line has starters in the third round then I'm taking three o linemen.

How about turning the weakest and possibly most important unit from a weakness into a significant strength.

If Bengals can actually run the ball against the top defenses and protect Burrow better because of a running game, that would improve this team better than any other change and also lays the foundation to become a genuine competitor for the Super Bowl- not just a possible playoff spot- in two or three years.

Sewell, the best guard left in round 2 and maybe a really good center in round 3 would dramatically improve the offense and make the team better than Chase or Pitts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - bengals67 - 04-09-2021, 10:46 AM