Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-09-2021, 12:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: There is nobody in the NFL that consistently gets 4 seconds to throw.  There are only a couple of guys consistently get 3.  The difference between the elite OL's and bad ones is .6-.7 of a second.

Teams single covered our WR's most of last year.  Burrow was on pace to be the most blitzed QB in the league by a wide margin before he went down.  That's because defenses don't respect our WR's.  If we go three straight OL, we'll just be running at 8-9 man boxes all day and getting overwhelmed by the blitz on third and long because we have no one to keep the D from loading up the box.

Our WR corps is a lot worse than people seem to think.  Something to think about is Tate, Thomas, and Morgan(our current WR3-5) have 2 career TD's in 10 combined years of NFL experience.  That's pathetically bad.  

The problem whenever people bring this up is that they look at the average and see what they perceive to be a minuscule difference...but that time is an average.

In reality it means that the best lines offered the following times on passes:

Team A:
3 seconds
2 seconds
3 seconds
5 seconds
3 seconds

While the bad line offered these times:

Team B for Bengals:
2 seconds
4 seconds
2 seconds
3 seconds
2 seconds

---------

The average time difference here would be 0.6 seconds...but what if we say those 2 second times were all sacks or blown up plays? Team A only had one of those, while team B had 3 of them. What if the 5 second time was a big play down field? Team A had one, while team B couldn't get the time needed.

-----------------------------

To your second bolded point, that's exactly the thing though. We don't need a WR1. We need to fill in the back end. We also need a speed guy who can take the top off, but it doesn't have to be a 1000 yard guy. We already have 2 guys capable of producing 1000 yards. We just need speed. A Chris Henry type of player.

(04-09-2021, 02:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Fred, when you come at me you better come correct. Allow me to help bring you back to reality by stepping up to the chalkboard and teaching you a lesson.....

- By your rationale, Burrow by his very nature will always be sacked and injured? Literally NO ONE can protect Joey B? Or, NO ONE who isn't a top 5 pick can protect Joey B? And, the only way to keep Joey B healthy is to not allow him to throw the ball unless the Bengals use top 5 picks to protect him?

Do you always think or speak in absolutes? I hope not, because that would be stupid.

- The deep ball "BS", as you called it, is 100% REAL SHIT. Not bullshit.

As far as Higgins and the Bengals throwing over 15 yards/deep balls is concerned

Joe Burrow ranked 31st in deep ball completion % in 2020. Deep ball in the NFL is defined as "Passes thrown OVER 20 yards in the air". I said 15. The 5 yards not covered here are inconsequential as my point still stands and is validated by the charts and stats I have linked below regarding Higgins and the other WRs. Burrow also completed exactly 0% of any passes thrown over 30 yards and was a combined 14/56 on passes that traveled 20-30 yards in the air. https://www.google.com/amp/s/brickwallblitz.com/2021/02/16/the-2020-21-deep-ball-project-part-1-3/amp/

Is Joey B bad at the deep ball? Innacurate? NO. Nobody in their right mind would assert that. The line needs to give him TIME,  yes. But, the WRs need to give him a WINDOW as well. More on that after you've digested the above data, of which you clearly hadn't done much research on. Feel free to study up before responding again. Although, who am I kidding here? We both know that you won't. But, don't worry, I have much more....

BTW, the above stats were WITH AJ Green. Who takes his place? Morgan? Mike Thomas? Is Tate going deep in 2021?

As far as Higgins is concerned, here are his Nextgen Stats charts per game of every catch he made. This shows the route, where he made the catch (white), and Yac (green).

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/tee-higgins/HIG387791/season

He literally caught only 11 or 12 of his 67 catches past 15 yards from scrimmage.

Oh, and BTW, 2 of the top 20 AFC receivers for YAC for 2020 were Bengals: Gio & Boyd. http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=AFC&type=Receiving&rank=231&year=

Next Gen stats also has QB avg separation stats. AJ Green was at 1.7 SEP, which is HORRIFIC. Higgins was at 2.5 (not great) & Boyd 2.7 (not great) NONE of those numbers are even close to the #1 down field guys on most teams in the NFL. Those numbers are poor. Especially Green. He might as well of been walking in 2020.

^ MOST Top end #1 WRs are above 3. Hopkins is 3.1, Diggs 3, Adams 3.2, Lockett 3.4, Renfrow 3.5. Julio Jones is an exception at 2.7.... still blowing away AJ & better than Higgins.

Feel free to check the data out https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#yards

Literally EVERY metric and piece of data available shows the Bengals WRs got some of the WORST separation on ANY completed ball last year. I would hate to see the incompletion stats. YIKES. this does not help out Burrow at all and shows the Bengals need a #1 monster WR.

How did our time to throw stat rank? If we had less time to throw than most teams, wouldn't that have a major impact on our average separation?

Less time to throw = less time to run = less separation.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Shake n Blake - 04-09-2021, 05:40 PM