Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-10-2021, 11:08 PM)PDub80 Wrote: So, great, well thought out points.

A few notes:

- Thuney was a 3rd rounder, which should give everyone hope that there ARE, indeed, good players there. Now, can the Bengals find them? Wellllll, they haven't exactly found them ANYWHERE lately.

- Teams play with 5 linemen on the field at all times. So, there will always be a need for those guys as a premium. WRs tend to be 2 at a time, sometimes 3. The Bengals run a lot of 4 & 5 WR "empty" backfield stuff. They need capable WRs 4 or 5 deep, which is a bit unconventional in the NFL.

- Golliday was coming off a down year with some injuries. No one thought this years FA WR group was THAT strong. Everyone waited on the bigger dominos to fall to see what money was left for WR. He still got SUPER paid, however.

- This year's draft has some really talented guys, yes. I just don't think they have nearly as many outside threats as last year. A lot... A LOT... of the WRs are smaller in stature. While Chase is only 6' something, he is 203-210lbs and considered very very strong. I watched a scouting video on him and it showed how he dealt with teams that tried to press him. He chucked a high draft pick (last year's draft) literally off to the sideline after they laid hands on him. He is wildly strong off the jam. So, Chase is unique in this class in that he is at least 6' and 200+ lbs.

The wideout class last year was EXCELLENT. A lot of strong wideouts have been coming out lately. This also played into why the WR market wasn't booming.

And there weren't a ton of O linemen out on the market to be had. Not to mention some major injuries late in the season had teams THIRSTY for line talent. The Bengals being one of them.

- 1st round offensive linemen have the LEAST likely chance to bust. They tend to be very consistent in their talent. This year's draft has O linemen with starter grades all the way into the 3rd round... at least... according to Tobin via the Hear Theat Podcast Growlin show the Athletic puts on.

So, to answer the elite talent question: Penei Sewell is NOT Orlando Pace or the 2nd coming of Andrew Whitworth or even Trent Williams. I think he is built more like a guard than an elite NFL tackle. His physical testing numbers give him an outside shot of being a top OT. There are only a handful who are considered excellent with his dimensions. He was listed at 6'5" 331, which was eye popping... Measured 6'4" with short arms. I think he has just been built into a mythical figure already, which isn't fair to the kid.

So, ultimately, I think the Bengals could STILL get an excellent O lineman in round 2. I'm not so sold on an excellent WR being there. Either way, there are several positions of need on the team. The debate, which should be fun, BTW, is... what's the BEST way to address BOTH?

For example: Would you rather have Option #1 Chase (Pitts)/Leatherwood or Option #2 Sewell/Bateman?

To me, option #1 looks waaaaaaayyyyyyy better. That's what it comes down to, to me. Which gives the highest level of talent to the Bengals.

I didn't even want to.answer him. He sounds like hes just trying to justify taking sewell anyway possible. And the fact that he likes bateman says it all. Bateman looks funny and not going to be a star X receiver, he runs some good routes that's all I see in him. Edit- he probably likes Nico collins also another funny looking cornball, looks like the next braylon Edward's. I bet this guy would be drooling over braylon Edward's coming out also.

The more I look at these late route receivers I only like a few and not sure how good they really will be..I also view boyd as just a slot and tee Higgins as a ok receiver with potential,have not seen him be a deep threat,I only remember one play he made down the sidelines,1.  They can try to point to his stats but we did throw the ball 50 -60 times a game and tee stayed healthy. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - BobJohnson55 - 04-10-2021, 11:36 PM