Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-10-2021, 07:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. What I said holds true. I guarantee that if you looked at each individual snap, it isn't going to be super consistent. There's going to be plenty of deviations. Plenty more blown up plays with the bad o-lines. Plenty more big plays for the team with good blocking. Are you really going to argue against this? It's common sense, brother.

2. Tom Brady is an exception, as he has always run a timing based offense predicated on short throws. He doesn't represent the average NFL offense. Also, guys can be schemed open. You bring up Ben Roethlisburger. Well how many times have we seen his guys WIDE open through the years? Not via speed, but some guy just somehow got lost in coverage.

Juju isn't a speed guy. He ran a 4.5 and a 4.54 leading up to the draft. Johnson ran a 4.53. So basically you're arguing against yourself. The Steelers are getting separation with a pair of 4.5 guys and little time to throw. That just proves what I said about scheme is on point.

3. Adding talent is never a bad thing, and Reiff himself has played multiple positions and has said he'd be fine with moving. If he felt he'd struggle, why would he offer? You think he wants to tank his next contract after 1 year at an awkward position? You've got to be the first person I've seen argue that adding Sewell could somehow make us worse. Amazing.

4. It's just true regardless. I don't know what to tell ya. Having the ability to scan for open receivers is ALWAYS going to lead to the QB hitting open receivers more frequently. You're over-thinking a very simple truth. We don't have turtles playing WR. They are going to be open sometimes. If Burrow doesn't have time, he'll find that open guy less often.

We really don't want to lock ourselves into only looking at one position in the 2nd though...and when you look at WR depth overall in this draft, most sites have it as being deeper than o-line.

Many sites still have Marshall going in the 2nd.

1.What I said holds true.  No QB in the league is consistently getting 4 seconds to stand back there and scan the field.  I have no idea why you still keep trying to debate this point, unless you unrealistically believe you can build some monster OL and accomplish that.

2.You lost me here.  I just showed you Brady was third in the league in Intended Air Yards(The average distance downfield that the intended target of a pass is) and you're trying to argue that he was in a dink and dunk offense.  The fact that he was 3rd in the league in Intended Air Yards disproves the theory that he was in an offense built around the short passing game.

Ben had the fastest Time to Throw in the league.  He's hitting these guys quickly before the DB has a chance to use that make up speed, as I illustrated in point 4, but you're still arguing against. Not to mention that they have a 6'4" WR that runs 4.42 on the outside helping to create space for all their other targets.

3.Reiff has been around a long time. He's going to say the right things in the media and saying he'll play anywhere is the right thing to say.  Not to mention the fact that he was probably told to say that by the Bengals so as not to tip their hands in the draft.  And again, we're not talking about his willingness to move, but if there will be a drop off in his play if he moves.  Same with Sewell.  The reality of the situation is that nobody on these boards has worked with Sewell enough to determine if he can make the move or not.  Will the OL be better if we draft Sewell?  Probably.  Will it be dramatically better?  You can't really project that when you're moving a bunch of pieces around.  

4.All our WR's are below average in the speed department by NFL standards.  That's just reality.  Sure, defenders fall down, coverages get blown, a guy sits down in a soft spot in the zone, or improvises in the scramble drill and extra time will help the QB find them.  You would rather have extra time you don't need to throw than not have enough.  However, again, it is diminishing returns if you don't have the speed to consistently take advantage of it.  NE typically had a bunch of slow WR's, but they were successful with Brady getting the ball out quick instead of holding it all day waiting for someone to uncover.

5.We're locked into a position group in 2 no matter who we take at 5. If it's Sewell, it has to be a WR in 2.  If it's Pitts or Chase, it has to be OL in 2. We have Auden Tate and Mike Thomas fighting for a starting WR job.  It can't wait til 3.

NFL Mock Draft Database has a consensus Big Board created from 30 Big Boards, 394 1st round mocks, and 493 team based mocks.  That's where I'm pulling 13 OL in the Top 50 and 20 in the Top 100 from vs 8 and 14 for WR's.  I haven't seen a single draft expert say WR is deeper than OL this year and those numbers back it up.  I've seen posters claim this, typically people who are locked in on Sewell at 5 and trying to sell people on the "you can get an immediate starter at WR on Day 3" myth.  Marshall is on average the 35th overall prospect, but is most commonly being mocked to Baltimore at 27. Either way, based on mocks and Big Board rating, it doesn't look like he'll fall to us.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Whatever - 04-11-2021, 05:16 PM