Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-12-2021, 01:57 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Chase will be phenomenal.

That isn't what I meant by waste the pick. I meant this, do you want a Championship team or a phenomenal player?

Calvin Johnson was viewed as a can't miss freak of nature when the Lions drafted him top 5 in 2007

In his career with Detroit he had 2 playoff appearances. 0 wins 2 losses. 2011 loss - 12 rec 211 yards 2 TDs. Still lost.

No top 5 drafted WR has won a Super Bowl since 2000 (that's as far back as I looked) for the team that drafted him. The exception, Sammy Watkins as a 3rd receiver option on the Chiefs, years after he was drafted by the Bills and then went to the Rams, then Chiefs.

Here they all are: 

1st round WR's drafted in the top 5:

Charles Rogers - 2003 - 0 playoffs

Andre Johnson - 2003 - 2 Playoff appearances. 2 wins 2 losses. Both wins, against Cincinnati

Larry Fitzgerald - 2004 - 4 play appearances. 1 Super Bowl appearance, 5 wins 4 losses

Braylon Edwards - 2005 - 0 playoffs

Calvin Johnson - 2007 - 2 playoffs - 0 wins 2 losses. 2011 loss - 12 rec 211 yards 2 TDs. Still lost.

A.J. Green - 2011 - 4 playoffs - 0 wins 4 losses

Justin Blackmon - 2012 - 0 playoffs

Sammy Watkins - 2014 - 0 Playoffs for the Bills who drafted him. 1 with the Rams, 3 with KC. 1 Super Bowl win with KC.

Amari Cooper - 2015 - 1 playoff for Oakland, 0 wins 1 loss. With Dallas, 1 playoff, 1 win 1 loss.

Corey Davis - 2017 - 3 playoff appearances, 3 wins 3 loss. 

So, here is the trend I see from all this, and why I call it wasting a pick. Not because Chase isn't special, but look at the good teams, 1 WR taken in round one in 20 years!!??!!? Dude that speaks volume.

In that same time frame no Super Bowl wins for the guys taken top 5 as WRs. The best production was Larry Fitzgerald and people still talk about how he's wasting away in Arizona. 

These are obvious trends. And you think the Bengals will magically break this trend??? They aren't that well run of a franchise to break a trend. Already tried, took A.J. at 4... no playoff wins.

To me, I don't care about the "phenom" out there putting up big numbers here and there. I want to see a damn Super Bowl title in my lifetime. So yes, based on the information above, I think taking a WR at 5, is wasting the pick. 

Again, I'm not shitting on Chase, he will more then likely be a very good WR (I say more then likely cause anyone can bust even Sewell) but history shows you, this isn't where you get your WR if you want a Championship.

You can very likely do this with almost any position though. How many top 5 OT’s have won a Super Bowl? How many top 5 QB’s? Hell, the Pats alone winning like 6 of them skews things a bit over the last 20 years or so. They were obviously never drafting that high.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 04-12-2021, 02:09 AM