Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lawsuit: Virginia police officers threatened man during stop
(04-12-2021, 12:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: I appreciate you mentioning the reprimand for them saying inappropriate things, however, the investigation and resulting actions were due to misapplication of the department's use of force guideline. This would mean that not only did the officer not say the right things, his response and use of force were also out of line. This would mean coming back full circle, IA found the officers DID NOT handle this situation correctly long before there was any media input into this matter which at least seemed to be your position earlier in the thread (Your position being their actions were warranted).

Again, not knowing the full story, I can't see them initiating a traffic stop with guns drawn as automatically wrong.  Only one officer made any inappropriate statements, the other actually made a good effort to deescalate the situation.  A lot has been made of conflicting instructions, but the non-compliance started the instant the Lt. stopped the car.  The initial officer had to instruct him to show his hands around ten times before he finally complied.  There were no conflicting instructions at that time.  This was also the time the Lt. felt the need to say he was a servicemen, which has nothing to do with the situation at all.

I've been in a traffic stop in which the van I was in was stopped with guns drawn.  Everyone in the car complied with instructions, we were ordered out of the car, we all did so.  I identified myself as a peace officer once the officers had the scene under control.   Our group was mixed white, Asian and Hispanic btw.  We had zero problems and were able to go on our way once they determined we weren't who they were looking for.  Shocking, I know.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lawsuit: Virginia police officers threatened man during stop - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-12-2021, 01:03 PM