Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lawsuit: Virginia police officers threatened man during stop
(04-12-2021, 01:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: I could see saying you are a serviceman as a very valid thing to say as to explain why you are dressed in full camo. It could have rightfully been assumed that the aggression could have been attributed to someone in a military getup potentially having weapons in the vehicle.

Possibly and a fair point.  I'd be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt if he hadn't been completely non-compliant prior to the statement. 

Quote:I have driven miles with lights on to get to a better spot to get safely off the road and was not approached with guns drawn. Shocking that the response can be so different. Anecdotal experience doesn't really have any large-scale barring on this case or any others though but figured I might as well throw one in too. 

His windows were tinted and they were behind him.  How could they possibly know his ethnicity?  Anecdotal is fine, our personal experiences certainly have more impact on our lives than a national news story.

Quote:In the end, the officers acted inappropriately as determined by their own system of review. The Chief arrived on the scene and released the Lt. with no charges filed at the time of the event, meaning he did not believe any actions of the Lt. warranted even a misdemeanor at that time. Then, IA found the use of force by the officer to be inappropriate and disciplined the officers while also requiring department-wide re-training. All of these incidents happened BEFORE the media was involved which combined would seem to suggest that the Lt. did nothing wrong, maybe not ideal but not wrong, while the officers most certainly did do something wrong.

Again, I don't know the entirety of the circumstances and why they felt the need to initiate a high risk stop.  As to discipline, I honestly can't say without more information, but I can tell you, again anecdotally but from numerous sources, that discipline, especially now, is not an even handed process.  There's so much politics in the mix now.  But I'm sure this will be viewed as my being a bitter LEO who doesn't like that his profession is finally being held to account (i.e. vilified on a national level).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lawsuit: Virginia police officers threatened man during stop - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-12-2021, 01:25 PM