Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bernie Sanders .... Tax rate 90%
(06-01-2015, 04:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Also the world had been blown to pieces and we were the only game in town.  That kinda helped. Not to mention that keeping 90% of any portion of someone's income is plain immoral.

No, not having a progressive tax code is plain immoral.

I realize we will never agree on this, but your assumption that taxation is keeping someone's income unjustly is, in the minds of many, flawed.

I realize you think taxation is akin to government theft of what is "yours" or "mine" and an unjust "redistribution" but that is not the only way to view taxes or the economy as a whole. The fact is taxes or no taxes wealth is redistributed every day and the only question is how is it going to be redistributed. In the 1950's we had a more fair system and broader and deeper prosperity in a thriving middle class and a thriving upper class.

If you want to have a functioning economy and society, government is necessary and thus taxes are necessary. I imagine you, like Grover Norquist, want to drown it in the bath tub, but that is simply ignorant. Our government, economy, and tax code produced broader prosperity from 1945 to 1980 than from 1980 to 2015. Blame it on WWII all you want.

And, OK, let's credit WWII. We had a big head start on the rest of the world, only to be surpassed in the last few decades by Japan, Germany, China, most of Western Europe, and even some Latin American countries in certain measures. How the hell did we let that happen? Oh, we slashed taxes so rich people could be richer. So, I guess we need another World War to get ourselves back on top? Bring on Armadeddon! Get Rummy and the boys on the line! We can fight our way out of this if we just invade Iran, Mexico, Ukraine, and Canada. Then we shall prosper again against a post-apocalyptic landscape, drop the tax rates to .01% and let the good times roll.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bernie Sanders .... Tax rate 90% - xxlt - 06-02-2015, 12:53 PM