Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Daniel Jeremiah - Building an OL from a DL coach perspective
(04-14-2021, 04:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nope, changes nothing. I have always said the Bengals need minimum 3 new starters this offseason. They still need 2 more, and apparently that has to come from the draft.

XSF/Spain/Hopkins are all guys that I would be okay with starting if they were your 5th best starter, but because there's 3 of them, it's a huge problem. Even 2 is too many out of 5 considering the fact that there's a near-certainty that there will be an injury on the OL at some point which would push that number back up to 3.

Always been my standpoint all offseason because I saw the same thing happen in the past with the Reds hitters when they had Peraza/Barnhart/Duvall/Schebler and before that (old) Phillips/Cozart/Barnhart/Duvall/Hamilton. None of those guys individually would break a team's lineup by being a starter. Even 2 of them would be okay (since we're talking 8 guys rather than an NFL OL's 5), but because the Reds consistently had 4 of those type of guys, it was unworkable (since you also had a pitcher hitting) since it meant the majority of the guys in the lineup were guys that were barely okay starter types.

3 new starters at OL?
That's just flat out not going to happen. Not this year anyway.
One of Spain or XSF will start guaranteed.
I would argue only one spot is open right now for a new starter, and it's either LG or RG. I highly doubt the Bengals demote Hopkins this year. He's going to be the starter at C once he's recovered from his injury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Daniel Jeremiah - Building an OL from a DL coach perspective - ochocincos - 04-14-2021, 05:40 PM