Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Daniel Jeremiah - Building an OL from a DL coach perspective
(04-14-2021, 04:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Daniel Jeremiah had a chat with a DL coach about the topic of building an OL.
He said the takeaway is it's more important how good your worst starter is than how great your best guy is because DCs will call plays to take advantage of the weak link(s).

With this said, does this change your perspective in how the Bengals should approach the OL via the draft?

I guess I've always taken that approach, which is to address your weakest spot(s) first. In the case of the Bengals, it'd be to fix (at least) one guard position first. Then look for potential replacements to OT and C.

It doesn't change my approach, but it might open the eyes of the guys screaming how we need a tackle to protect Burrow.  No one wants to hear this but our pass protection, from the tackles, was at least average last year.  Probably middle of the pack.  The guard play, from a pass protection standpoint, was awful.  It improved when XSF and Spain were out there to CLOSE to average, but early in the season it was downright awful.

The Bengals need a beast at RG, and a strong, young talent to develop at RT.  Sure, I could use a center to push Hopkins as well, should a player like Humphrey fall all the way to our 3rd round pick, but I am not picking Sewell at #5.

The offensive line came pretty far last year.  Now you add Reiff, and most certainly a draft pick for RG, and the offensive line should be solid.  Give Burrow an elite weapon like Chase, and watch him serve up 30-burgers on a weekly basis.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Daniel Jeremiah - Building an OL from a DL coach perspective - SHRacerX - 04-15-2021, 07:53 AM