Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Daniel Jeremiah - Building an OL from a DL coach perspective
(04-15-2021, 12:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Not addressing my comment to you, just commenting on something that most people skim over in the "Sewell or Slater to Guard for one season" discussion. Johnson did indeed suck in his move to RG last season and many people use the "You can't expect Sewell or Slater to make a successful move to Guard" argument.

Bullshit.

Sewell and Slater are going to be top 5-15 picks and Johnson was a UFA already cut by another team. The talent level isn't even close by comparison. I'd move either to LG for a season before kicking them out to LT and move Williams to RT. I am not impressed with Williams at all. He got beat more often than the stats show because Burrow had already gotten rid of the ball many of the times or had already moved out of the pocket. I'm not calling Williams a bust at this point but he's far from a hit. He's about as good at LT as Big Willie was and they moved him to RT to flourish against the opponent's #2 pass rusher instead of getting blown up every week by the #1 pass rusher while moving backup RG Rod Jones to starting LT. I think that move would be best for Williams as a Bengal.

A little confused as to your point. I agree that a guy like Sewell or Slater (especially Slater) could move to guard for a year, but I am not sure why you would want to do that.  If you draft one of those that early in the draft, you think he is elite and he should be playing tackle.  On this team, you move Reiff to RG, and put either one of them at RT.  You leave Jonah right where he is.  Last year was essentially his rookie season.  He needs to show better durability, but I think he played extremely well given the limited reps in camp, COVID, Turner, and losing his entire rookie season to injury.

That being said, I am still firmly in the camp of team Chase.  I am not spending the #5 overall pick on a guy that I want to play RT.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Daniel Jeremiah - Building an OL from a DL coach perspective - SHRacerX - 04-15-2021, 02:22 PM