Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that will help the GOP before 2022 elections.
(04-15-2021, 10:29 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well.... after the Republicans refused the Garland nomination, Lindsey Graham stood in front of the cameras and assured everyone that this is about principle and that of course he would also oppose a conservative judge if the tables were turned. And that people should hold this statement against him if this situation ever came to pass.

It came to pass. Graham gave zero effs about his word of honor, nor did the whole other republicans, they pushed this lady through. Mitch sure had some giggles about that one.

Letting this just slide is a sign of weakness. If I'm the democrats, the first thing I would consider as soon as I'd have the power is a big counterpunch on that one by expanding the court. Which is no more against any rule than a nuclear option is. You would call doing that being a sore loser. I would call not doing that just being a loser.

And you get approximately zero additional votes by being fair and noble and weak and a punchingbag. It the situation were reversed, Mitch and all the Republicans would not hesitate one second to tilt a 6-3 liberal court back that was created under such murky circumstances. And all conservatives would say that democrats can only blame themselves for that course of action. Wouldn't you too?

Actually, this is not true.  I don't recall the GOP ever calling for court packing, and they could have easily done so during Trump's first two years.  We've had this discussion before, but I don't think you realize the enormity of such a move and the response it would provoke.  I absolutely don't se Manchin going along with it for this exact reason.  You are 100% correct that McConnell's move was underhanded and shady, but it's not even remotely on the same level.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that will help the GOP before 2022 elections. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-15-2021, 10:51 PM