Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Drafting Chase Supporters
(04-15-2021, 10:33 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I love Chase --would love him on the Bengals but when I think about our OLine I simply cannot justify passing on an elite offensive lineman. So if you are committed to drafting Chase --please explain how you think the OLine will give Burrows enough time to use the weapons he will have.

Here is my assessment of the line --please share yours

Williams is average but getting better and a long term piece.Reif is solid but signed for one year.

Hopkins is below average and coming back from an injury.

Spain, XSF are back ups. XSF was a back-up for Dallas, he signed for a back-up salary. Spain was cut by Buffalo during the year when they had title hopes. He just resigned for a back up salary. Which means the Bengals, the other teams and the player all accept that at least for this year --they look like a back up. If they or other teams thought they were starters --they wouldn't have signed for back-up salary

Pollack is better than Turner --but we had Pollack before and the line was not great. So why do we believe he can turn poor players into sound players?

I think because we watched Turner coach Redmond, Hart and Jordan --we overvalue Pollack, Spain and XSF.

Sewell or Slater become our best OLineman. They guarantee we have three strong OLineman. Waiting to round two is just to great a risk for me.

Love to hear your argument

I'm not #TeamChase, but I am #TeamPitts, so I guess we can be clumped together as #TeamPassCatcher.

If we give the weather analogy to players, here's my weather forecast for each of the expected starters:
- Jonah Williams - Partly cloudy, could be sunny
- Trey Hopkins - Cloudy as a run blocker, sunny as a pass blocker
- Riley Reiff - Mix of sunny and partly cloudy, but not expected to stick around long term
- XSF and Spain - Cloudy with a chance to be partly cloudy (could just need more acclimation to this scheme)

In terms of the draft, Any first round OL I would expect to come in immediately as partly cloudy with a high chance of being sunny.
Any OL picked at 38 I would expect to come in cloudy to partly cloudy as a rookie, chance to become sunny down the road.
Any OL picked in Rd 3 I would expect to come in cloudy or maybe some scattered showers, chance to become partly cloudy down the road.
Any Day 3 pick I expect to be rainy early on but hopefully clear up more year-by-year.

I don't think the OL has to be fully sunny for the offense to succeed, but they need to mostly be at least partly cloudy. 1 or maybe 2 can be cloudy.

So basically, I think the Bengals will be fine with Williams and Reiff at OT, Hopkins at C, and one of Spain or XSF at one OG spot with a Day 2 draft pick holding down the other OG spot.
The Bengals also could use a replacement for Reiff set to take over in 2022, which I think can be done with a Day 2 pick who is groomed for a year.
Any Day 3 pick I would expect to be a pure backup this year and probably for an extra year (or two) beyond that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question for Drafting Chase Supporters - ochocincos - 04-16-2021, 11:31 AM