Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
(04-18-2021, 02:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The thing that is driving me crazy about this 'debate' is that many in the Sewell crowd act like there are no worthy o-linemen after the 1st round. That's just silly as shit. There will be quality starters that can improve this line if Sewell isn't taken.

Same goes for a lot of the Chase crowd, acting like there aren't any options at WR if they don't take him. Equally as silly. There will be guys that can help Burrow and this offense after the 1st round if Chase isn't the pick.

Both of those guys are going to be absolute studs for the next decade or more, IMO, and both will elevate this team if taken...and they'll still get a quality talent at the other position in after the 1st round. 

I know that we could get a solid lineman later. Maybe. Thing about that is we've had a much better track record of taking WR's in round 2 than linemen. I also factor in a myriad of other factors.

1. QB/WR tandems like Stafford/Megatron and Ryan/Julio rarely work. It's a ton of money invested in one facet of the offense.

2. If you have an elite QB (which I think Burrow will be), I'd say it's better to spread that money around to blocking/defense. He'll make our WR's look good.

3. If you draft Chase, say goodbye to Higgins in 3 years. We can't pay big bucks to everyone in the pass offense.

4. Yes, we could get a lineman later...but whatever need we address at #5, we're taking a risk with the need we don't address there. There's no guarantee that the linemen we want will be sitting there in the 2nd round. We could also have a gem fall in our laps that isn't a lineman. Would we then pass to stick with the need?

That's why I think you address what is clearly your biggest need first. If we miss on a lineman in this draft, I'd say our 2021 line will be pretty ugly, right? If we miss on a speed WR, it'll suck but won't be the end of the world. I think we can get by on what we have.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there - Shake n Blake - 04-18-2021, 02:38 PM