Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I’m excited for next season...
(04-20-2021, 10:14 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I would assert that if the team is as bad as you suggest, then immediate impact is moot. Any of the three could arrive, be immediately impactful, and the team... would still be bad. Only one position group bears much promise to completely change the complexion of a team in one move, and we drafted there first overall a year ago.

Bad teams that wish to become good teams that last are probably as concerned with 2022 onward as they are with 2021 upon making their first round selection. Immediate impact is desirable and good, but it’s not the most important thing (at least not to me). I want someone that grinds out a quality Bengals career, and if a slow start is a part of that journey then so be it.

And sometimes the best spoils go to those who are most patient. Immediate impact isn’t necessarily synonymous with long-term Super Bowl value added. This is why I just don’t care that Chase and Sewell skipped the 2020 season. It’s not important to me. If it slows their development a bit on the way to a great career, then so be it. Between the two I think that’d probably hit Sewell harder for [potentially] playing out of position and getting into the brute physique of an NFL lineman. That doesn’t make me like him significantly less.

That is exactly what is going to be the case.

This team isn't going to be vastly better this season based on this draft. This is still a 6 maybe 7 win team, especially with the schedule they are playing.

It's another reason why I'm all in on fix the damn line and stop worrying about the toys. I'd rather see the young linemen this draft (Sewell in 1st, Meinerz in the 3rd or Ben Cleveland), let them spend the season getting up to speed on the NFL so that in 2022 you have something in front of Burrow. Then go take George Pickens from Georgia in 2022 if your 2nd round WR doesn't blow you away and you have something.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I’m excited for next season... - Murdock2420 - 04-20-2021, 11:40 PM
RE: I’m excited for next season... - tms - 04-21-2021, 04:04 PM