Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase
(04-21-2021, 04:53 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Jefferson going in the first was a bit of a surprise. It was actually Tee Higgins projected around there and then, draft day, that kind of flipped. CEH to the Cheifs was also a shocker. He was a projected mid 2nd rounder, as well. Neither of those guys were considered anywhere near the prospect Chase was after that 2019 season. Nowhere close.

I think that if we analyzed Kyle Pitts numbers we would see similar things, right? The biggest difference is that Chase was battling the #1 CB from most of these teams. He torched the 4 SEC CBs taken 9, 16, 30, & 51(?) in last year's draft for 30 catches, 600+ yards, and 5 TDs in 4 games. Some of them HUGE games. He was in the spotlight and outshined them all. The Bengals NEED that kind of person.

In Pitts, we would see a very bland 2019. He had 1 big game against LSU for 108 yards and then a bunch of 4 catch performances.

- The offense LSU ran Chase's freshman year was archaic and ultra old school - even with Burrow there. Burrow played at LSU in 2018. This was discussed a ton on different podcasts last year when analyzing Joe Brady's change to a more wide open concept and debating if Joe Burrow was a "1 year wonder". I don't blame anyone for not going to the moon with their output in 2018. It was an old system ran and designed by an old man. The consensus was: Joe Burrow and the LSU guys were allowed to play to the best of their abilities and the handcuffs came off in 2019. THAT is why they all exploded.

Teams can focus and take guys away. That happens in the NFL as well. The Bengals have weapons to make teams pay when they do that. Higgins, Boyd, Mixon... all strong. BTW, they need more weapons, IMO. They will take another WR later in the draft. I have no doubts. I wouldn't hate a RB higher, either.

Fun fact about Jamaar Chase: Even though he didn't play football, I believe he stayed at LSU and got his degree. I thought that was interesting.

Bottom line for me: The Bengals NEED playmakers AND O-Line help. The MUST get better there. Pitts, Chase, Sewell... or whoever... this draft, for me, is about rounds 2-4. That is where the money is made in this draft. Starters are there to be had. Any of the above 3 in round 1 I am A ok with. Any of them. hell, I am fine with a trade back and taking Darrisaw. A lot of paths for success lie ahead for the Bengals.

Agree with everything you say, except this.  There's always 2-3 truly elite prospects in the draft.  If you can get one of them, you take one.  

Lawerence, Pitts, Sewell, Chase - and then theres a major drop-off to tier 2.  If we go Chase, then the real need is at OG, and there should be a great OG prospect in the 2nd.

If we go Sewell, I wouldn't mind trading back into the late first round if there theres a WR that really fits the bill (I personally think there will be a very good WR available in round 2)
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Hammerstripes - 04-21-2021, 05:03 PM